Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen X 900-010xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm upgrading to an i7 8700k, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 Motherboard, and 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum Torque memory. I was wondering if the 1300w psu in the HP omen is safe to keep and power these components. I'm not very knowledgable in terms of power supplies. I've heard the propietary psu of manufacturers are not very good, as I will be overclocking these components. Please note I use my PC for competitive gaming and use it for 14+ hours a day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Jessie

1300 watts is way overkill. You have purchased a power supply that is totally unnecessary.

Here is an analogy. You buy a 800 horsepower car. At idle it will consume more energy than a 350 horsepower car. Wasted energy.

Power supply quality depends on the rating of the power supply.

Look, if you are uncertain, then buy a new power supply .

EVGA, Super Flower, Corsair, Seasonic, are all good, stable power supplies.

A 1300 watt power supply is, regardless of the product, unnecessary.

You are wasting energy.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Tom

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

A 1300 watt power supply (PS) is overkill even when running two Nvidia 1080Ti graphics cards in SLI.

Does HP specify if it is a gold or a platinum power supply?

You can upgrade the PS if you believe it is not going to provide stable power after upgrading the CPU.

I am running an Intel i7-8700k overclocked at 29% on a Corsair RM550x (550 watts) power supply and an Asus Nvidia 1080 OC graphics card with no problems.

I really think you have more than enough power to run an i7-8700k.

Tom

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but that is what I am curious about. I will be using a single Gigabyte Aorus gtx 1080ti extreme. I don't know the specs of the power supply as it is not specified. I guess I'll find out eventually when I go to swap the mobo. To stop any confusion I know that the wattage of this psu exceeds how much I need. I simply am wondering of the quality of it and any negative effect it may have on my components. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Jessie

1300 watts is way overkill. You have purchased a power supply that is totally unnecessary.

Here is an analogy. You buy a 800 horsepower car. At idle it will consume more energy than a 350 horsepower car. Wasted energy.

Power supply quality depends on the rating of the power supply.

Look, if you are uncertain, then buy a new power supply .

EVGA, Super Flower, Corsair, Seasonic, are all good, stable power supplies.

A 1300 watt power supply is, regardless of the product, unnecessary.

You are wasting energy.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Tom

HP Recommended

Yes, I realize this is an old thread, however I felt it necessary to correct the misinformation posted here. You do not WASTE anything by having a higher capacity PSU than what the system requires.

A power supply only puts out as much power as needed by the system's components. In some cases, an 800W power supply may actually use less power from the wall than a 500W power supply, depending on the efficiency of the units. Often times, buying an "oversized" PSU is a good choice due to it's ability to perform even under higher temperatures, a quieter fan because the unit is delivering a lower percentage of it's total capability and considerable system upgradability without having to worry about having enough power when upgrading a graphics card, adding a graphics card for SLI or additional hard drives.

All men fall. Not all men stay down.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.