Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 690-0067C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased the HP Pavilion 690-0067C gaming desktop from Costco for my husband, he would like me to add an NVMe M.2 SSD drive to his computer and put the OS (Windows 10) on the new drive.  I'm wondering how large of a drive I can put into this system? Would a 1TB be okay to add? I'm thinking about the Samsung 970 evo.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @dablmc1

There is no limitation on the capacity of the NVMe M.2 drive you add. A 1 or 2 TB 970 Evo would work just fine for the OS drive.

I have added drives to that model with no issue. I would suggest you disconnect the HDD first, before installing the OS to the SSD. Once you confirm its working and updated, I would wipe the HDD and use it for a storage drive.

You should create your HP Recovery USB media as a backup for installing to either drive first.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/GamingDesktops/message-id/4708

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @dablmc1

There is no limitation on the capacity of the NVMe M.2 drive you add. A 1 or 2 TB 970 Evo would work just fine for the OS drive.

I have added drives to that model with no issue. I would suggest you disconnect the HDD first, before installing the OS to the SSD. Once you confirm its working and updated, I would wipe the HDD and use it for a storage drive.

You should create your HP Recovery USB media as a backup for installing to either drive first.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/GamingDesktops/message-id/4708

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer and suggestions.  

HP Recommended

Thinking about purchase of HP Pavilion 690-0067C  want to upgrade drive to ssd.  Thinking of a NVME  M.2 500GB card but from what I have read the slot only provide 2 lanes of communication that this motherboard has  vs 4 lanes that other mother boards provide.

This leads to a performance drop of that M.2 ssd.  Question is:  am i I better off just going with a SATA  drive  PCIe slot.  Would speeds be similar?   Sata drive would be a little less expensive but cost is not a big factor.  More for performance

HP Recommended

Maybe someone else in this thread has the answer or you might want to start a new thread with your question.  The HP Pavillion 690-0067C that I purchased for my husband is not being used as a gaming computer.  I don't have the level of knowledge you are seeking regarding the upgrade difference between a SATA and SSD.   The install for the SSD went great with no issues.  Good luck

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I am also not a gamer and I'm sure that no matter which way I go with this I'll be happy.  Just like to be as educated as possible regarding things of this nature as well.  Thanks, Len

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I am also not a gamer and I'm sure that no matter which way I go with this I'll be happy.  Just like to be as educated as possible regarding things of this nature as well.  Thanks, 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.