Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 30L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Omen 30L runs HOT

Just bought a 30l omen with and rtx 3080 and i9-10850k and temps stay steady at around 82c for gpu and 85-89c for CPU while gaming.
Debating on returning it.

Idled it runs 50-54c?
Seems to me from what I’ve seen online those temps are quite high.
Any suggestions to improve temps?

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Kronos-S90 , welcome to the forum.

The maximum temperature for the processor (CPU) is 100C and the maximum temperature for the video card (GPU) is 89C.  The temps that you are experiencing are on the high side, but are not at the point of causing either to throttle.  I have not seen the inside of your style of case. If there is space enough to install an additional "Intake Fan" it certainly would be helpful.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@Old_geekster, I'm having similar issues with an Omen 30L with the same specs as the OP, the model number I believe is GT13-0092 (purchased from amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KHD3Q5Z).

CPU idles around 50C, which seems reasonable. When utilization goes above ~10% however it spirals upwards towards 90C. It has liquid cooling, but I'm wondering what I can do to help keep the temps down.

HP Recommended

If you still can return it easily I would.  Those idle temps are absolutely too high. The load temps are also too high unless you are really hitting them with heavy heavy loads. The Gpu temps could be fixed with a more aggressive fan curve but the cpu temps are also still a problem.   I am giving you my honest opinion I have a ton of experience with HP gaming desktops over the years. A ton of trouble shooting.  If you have had the Pc for a long time then check for dust clogs.  If not return it. 

HP Recommended

If we are talking desktops Idle at 50c is not ok.  On a weak cooler Idle should be around 28c to low 30s.  On  a powerful cooler you will se low 20s.  anything above the 30s is not acceptable for idle and do not let anyone try to tell you otherwise.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I don't think returning it is an option at this point. Apparently the CPU is rated for up to 100C, so I suppose it's not too pressing since the temps shouldn't be damaging, but it came with liquid cooling, so maybe the solution would be to install an aftermarket cooler on the CPU down the line.

HP Recommended

Doing some more research, it would seem this might be expected for this particular processor. According to this anandtech breakdown (specifically the last graph on this page):  https://www.anandtech.com/show/16341/intel-core-i9-10850k-review-the-real-intel-flagship/2, this processor reports hotter temperatures due to "thermal migration inside the silicon rather than cooling capacity". I won't pretend to understand everything in the article, but if they are getting similar temps on an open test bed with what they believe is the best air cooler on the market, I can't see how one would expect in-case temperatures to be lower.

HP Recommended

Well I guess we have another one of those threads on the same subject, I wish that we can have all of those combined or have all new threads starting with Omen 30L get automatically checked against the old ones. 

Or we just pin a top thread that all I9 based Omen 30L's are to expect a high temperatures, at this point there should be no surprise to anyone that the temps are above 90C and the CPU is thermal throttling. 

HP Recommended

That would be really helpful, I didn't realize it shouldn't be a surprise until I did some more intensive reading. Very good to know I shouldn't be worried.

HP Recommended

Simple Google search look up other 10850k idle temps. Just look at what other people with the same processor on reddit.  All of their idle temps are 28c to low 30s.  If your idle temps are in the 50s you have a serious cooling issue. When a cpu is known to be hot they are talking about under load.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.