Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 690-0073w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was researching this motherboard on this computer and the hp website states you can put an 8th gen i7 inside this computer. But this computer came with a 9th gen i5. I looked up the motherboard and I see that the 9th generation i7 and i9 is compatible. Their is even a i9 chip with the same 65w as the i5. Their are a lot of people with this computer online looking for answers like mine. Is it possible to put a i9 cpu 9th generation in this computer?   This is a 3 part question also. Now for the GPU. This computer came with a gtx 1660 ti short single fan. Is it also possible to put a rtx 2060 super single fan (same size) in this computer. There is a wattage increase from the 1660 ti 120w to rtx 2060 super 175w. Last question is the ram. I see on crucials website this motherboard can handle 64gb of ram. But the hp website said only 32gb. Any help in this would be appreciated. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@WickedShade0103 , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Motherboard Specifications page.  Look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information".  It lists the processors that are compatible with your motherboard.  While the i9 processors can be installed in Series 300 motherboards, HP has not listed them as compatible.

Q:  This computer came with a gtx 1660 ti short single fan. Is it also possible to put a rtx 2060 super single fan (same size) in this computer. There is a wattage increase from the 1660 ti 120w to rtx 2060 super 175w.

A:  The RTX 2060 requires a PSU with at least 500W and 1x8-pin supplementary power connector.  You can see this information in the link that I provided in the tab titled "Specs".  Your PSU is only 400W.

Q:  I see on crucials website this motherboard can handle 64gb of ram. But the hp website said only 32gb. Any help in this would be appreciated.

A:  In this instance, you will have to go with the specifications provided by HP.  HP has their motherboards made to their specifications and use them in many different models.  Therefore, there may be models that do have a maximum of 64 GB, but yours is only 32 GB.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@WickedShade0103 , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Motherboard Specifications page.  Look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information".  It lists the processors that are compatible with your motherboard.  While the i9 processors can be installed in Series 300 motherboards, HP has not listed them as compatible.

Q:  This computer came with a gtx 1660 ti short single fan. Is it also possible to put a rtx 2060 super single fan (same size) in this computer. There is a wattage increase from the 1660 ti 120w to rtx 2060 super 175w.

A:  The RTX 2060 requires a PSU with at least 500W and 1x8-pin supplementary power connector.  You can see this information in the link that I provided in the tab titled "Specs".  Your PSU is only 400W.

Q:  I see on crucials website this motherboard can handle 64gb of ram. But the hp website said only 32gb. Any help in this would be appreciated.

A:  In this instance, you will have to go with the specifications provided by HP.  HP has their motherboards made to their specifications and use them in many different models.  Therefore, there may be models that do have a maximum of 64 GB, but yours is only 32 GB.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. Just bought an extra stick of 8 gig ram. And I think this is all I will do for this computer. It’s worth the 500 bucks I paid for what it is but it’s still limited by the power supply like you said. I’ve built my own computer 21 years ago when comp USA was around I will just do a build when I grow out of this one. Thank you

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @WickedShade0103!  While HP makes, in my opinion, the best OEM computers on the market, I still had to build one last computer (My custom build in my Signature.)  I wanted to have the latest, greatest, components.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.