Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello, quick question

Since I can't change anything in the BIOS about CPU heat control, is an average of 85°C ok on the Intel i9-9900k while playing high intensity games like COD Modern Warfare? (GPU load average is 95%)  I didn't overcloack the CPU since the OC doesn't make that big of a difference. TDP average is 90% with spikes up to 102.5%.

Room Temperature is about 24-25°C but in the Summer it'll get hotter. I'm not sure if the water cooler fan is spinning at 100% but I replaced the stock fan on the radiator with a Noctua NF-A12x25 which is made for radiators. The Stock one was way too loud... I just can't believe that the stock Omen water cooler is that bad.

Thank you for your responce in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Funny but maybe true?

I found an answer on the ASUS site.

Will CPU lifespan or stability be affected under high temperature?

As long as the temperature is lower than the original standard (105 or 100 Celsius degrees) regulated by Intel, the CPU lifespan will not be affected. The CPU has its own protection system/mechanism. When the core temperature exceeds the set temperature, the power will be reduced to maintain a safe temperature. The temperature may vary, depending on the processor and BIOS settings.

The CPU has a Turbo Boost function, which will be adjusted according to the use situation. When the CPU starts the Turbo Boost function, the power and temperature will rise. This is normal.

Availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:

• Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature

When the processor is operating below these limits and the user's workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will dynamically increase until the upper limit of frequency is reached. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 has multiple algorithms operating in parallel to manage current, power, and temperature to maximize frequency and energy efficiency. Note: Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows the processor to operate at a power level that is higher than its TDP configuration and data sheet specified power for short durations to maximize performance.

As I've seen on my HP Omen Obelisk, the CPU max temp didn't exceed 98°C on spikes thus making it ok? My laptop was day after day under heavy load. GPU and CPU reached really high temps. (GPU 90°C and CPU maybe more) but it is still alive after 3 years and still running.

HP Recommended

Quick question to anyone caring for their CPUs.

I know that the i9-9900k can get pretty hot. Today I played Star Citizen for about one hour. The cpu usage was about 60-70% the heat was at about 82-90°C. Has any of you had such temps with the Omen Obelisk or do people just not care?

By the way, I replaced the fan on the radiator with a Noctua NF-A12 but I don't believe there is much difference in cooling with the stock Cooler Master Fan (which is really loud). Is there a fan that is even better and as quiet as the Noctua NF-A12?

Can I also get a response from the HP Staff about the i9-9900k temperature? Was it designed this way?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.