Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN X by HP Desktop PC - 900-010xt CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Folks, 

I'm looking for recommendations to upgrade my HP-Omen 900-010xct CTO.  It has been an amazing computer, it still works great and does everything I need, I just want to give it some TLC and pamper her a little. She deserves it after all those years of great service!  I'm looking for a new modern Motherboard, Processor, Graphics Card.  I love the water cooling solution, it runs super quiet.  Would I need to replace it if I get a newer motherboard? The Power supply is 1300 W, would that need to be replaced too?  Final Question, would this case have enough space for an AMD build? I really like AMD, but just don't know if there will be enough space inside for it.  The current motherboard is an uATX, dimensions: 24x24 cm (9.4x9.4 in).

Here are the current specs:

OMEN X 900xt by HP Desktop PC

Product number: X3V89AV

•Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Skylake 91W; 4 Cores; HT enabled; 8MB Shared Cache; 14nm; Max Memory Speed: DDR4-2133/DDR3L-1600

•3TB 7200RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive

•Jet Black; Liquid Cooling Solution

•1300 W Gold efficiency power supply

•3C16 Cycle AV

•32 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

•802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) and Bluetooth® 4.0 M.2 combo

•AMD Radeon™ RX 480

Thank you so much beforehand for all your suggestions. Stay safe and healthy.

Cheers,

Nomad95

p.s: I used to work at HP, this PC was my "Good-Bye Gift" after I left the Company.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Nomad95,

Upgrading an HP Omen 900-010xt CTO would indeed make a very interesting Legacy Upgrade project. Your i7-6700K processor is still beefy enough for gaming if paired with a decent GPU. Also, having a 1,300 watt power supply opens up plenty of options, if we can find a high-end (compact?) graphics card.  Your 4 x 8GB RAM is A-OK, maxed out RAM speed at PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133). -Just to be clear, your CTO looks like the picture below?

NonSequitur777_0-1651155270842.png

The first thing that needs to go -or moved/assigned to/as a secondary drive position, is your HDD. Using the Macrium Reflect free cloning software, utilize your M.2 socket 3 for a 1 or 2 TB M.2 NVMe Interface Internal SSD, such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S1T0B/dp/B07MFZY2F2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1E5YV4W6CNJJZ&k....

Making this switch alone would make a world of difference.

Do you mind taking/sharing some pictures of your CTO's interior, and some rough estimates of available space above/around your PCIe X16 slot(s)? And are there PCIe 2+6-pin power connector(s) available?

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Nomad95,

Upgrading an HP Omen 900-010xt CTO would indeed make a very interesting Legacy Upgrade project. Your i7-6700K processor is still beefy enough for gaming if paired with a decent GPU. Also, having a 1,300 watt power supply opens up plenty of options, if we can find a high-end (compact?) graphics card.  Your 4 x 8GB RAM is A-OK, maxed out RAM speed at PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133). -Just to be clear, your CTO looks like the picture below?

NonSequitur777_0-1651155270842.png

The first thing that needs to go -or moved/assigned to/as a secondary drive position, is your HDD. Using the Macrium Reflect free cloning software, utilize your M.2 socket 3 for a 1 or 2 TB M.2 NVMe Interface Internal SSD, such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S1T0B/dp/B07MFZY2F2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1E5YV4W6CNJJZ&k....

Making this switch alone would make a world of difference.

Do you mind taking/sharing some pictures of your CTO's interior, and some rough estimates of available space above/around your PCIe X16 slot(s)? And are there PCIe 2+6-pin power connector(s) available?

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@Nomad95,

To combine high-end graphics performance with affordability, see if dimension-wise (11.81 x 5 x 2.04 inches) this less than $1,100 GPU (ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC Edition Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 10GB GDDR6X) would fit in your HP Omen 900: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Graphics-DisplayPort-Military-Grade-Certification/dp/B099ZC8H3G/ref=pd_c....

This beefy GPU requires 2 x 8-pin PCIe power cables, which I believe are available in your chassis.

This GPU upgrade suggestion is similar to this Omen 900-010 User's config: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40001892.

Btw, the aforementioned M.2 NVMe SSD upgrade as installed by another Omen 900-010 User: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27503396.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@Nomad95,

Want to spend quite a bit less than the $1,100 for an RTX 3080?  -This very nicely performing MSI Gaming RTX 3060 12GB goes for $510: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 15 Gbps GDRR6 192-Bit HDMI/DP PCIe 4 Twin-Frozr Torx Fan Ampere RGB... (dimensions: 8.8 x 4.6 x 1.5 inches).

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Dear NonSequitur777,

Thank you so much for your amazing and detailed response, it gives me all the information I need and more! Wow! Answering your question, yes.  My CTO looks like the picture you included.  I will take a photo of the PCIe X16 slot(s and share it soon. If I am not mistaken, there are PCIe 2+6-pin power connector(s) available.  The only things I asked to be modified (when I got the computer as a a "Thank you " present from HP) were the addition of the Water-cooling system, and the Monster 1300 Watt power supply, I did it thinking about wanting to upgrade this puppy in the future.   

The computer works well, it is just getting a little slow. It makes sense, I got it back in 2016. The AMD 480 Graphic's Card has been really good. I have never had any issues with it.  I have a nice 32 inches HP Omen Monitor, (QHD 2560 x 1440) it has Free Sync, I'm pretty happy with it. 

Can't wait to see the end result! Exciting.

Take care and cheers!

Nomad95

HP Recommended

@Nomad95,

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words! -When I remarked that your CTO would make a really interesting upgrade project, I was very serious.  You see, what got me involved in this HP User Forum was my very first HP legacy desktop upgrade project, upgrading an aging HP Compaq dc7900 Ultra-Slim Desktop.  When I was done with it, this desktop was/is the fastest of its kind according to UserBenchMark [dot] com.

Since then, I have upgraded a number of other legacy HP desktops and achieved the same #1 global status, most recently with an HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF: Solved: Upgrading HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF - HP Support Community - 8251218 (see my rig as #1 through #7 with different graphics cards/configurations out of nearly 1,100 worldwide entries: UserBenchmark: HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF Compatible Components).

This is why I think your CTO would make such an interesting upgrade project, if only because it looks so very unique!

Yes, please follow up how things work out. I would be very interested.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.