Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Z1 G5 tower Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

CPU running at high temperatures at ~90% load. 
My system has 64GB Ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 Graphics card with 8GB VRAM, 2x 1TB NVMe storage.

System was purchased, from HP just over 1 year ago, mainly to use for photographic and video processing which is not stressing the system in any way.

I installed msfs2020 a few weeks ago. I have also installed msi afterburner, to control the GPU temperature on the Nvidia card, but I’m not using it to overclock the CPU. The GPU temperature is now below 70degC.

I would appreciate practical advice to help reduce the CPU temperature to a lower/“safer” level say around  

60 - 70 degC. without affecting the simulator performance.

(Sim running at 2560 x 1440 screen resolution at a frame rate of 35- 50 FPS )
Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What you are saying is a two-way street.
If the processor heats up for a long time, in fact, although it is mentioned that the maximum temperature is very high, it may in the long run get damaged.
But if you change the behavior of the fan, especially if it is not of high quality, it is the fan that may fail, and you may damage the processor!
If your computer is not designed so that there is no way to modify this, you will have to go through third-party software
Either it will not work, sometimes it happens, or if you mishandle it, you may be doing more harm than good.
Up to you !
If not, you can try to check if the computer is well ventilated, not in a closed place, check internally if nothing prevents the air circulation (badly placed cable etc)
Regularly clear the air vents!
limit intensive use
lower the video settings a bit
You can also limit the CPU usage a bit, via the power supply options.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

hi

I may not have paid attention, but I read the temperature given gpu (which is correct) but the cpu finally?
this type of processor must be able to operate at a high temperature

TJUNCTION 100°C

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I understand that the CPU can operate up to 100degC, but I am trying to reduce the CPU temperature to a lower level, as running at a high/max temperature for long periods of time may reduce the life of the CPU and may affect the performance of the sImulator software.

I am hoping to get advice on how to reduce the CPU temperature to around 60 - 70 degC  when the CPU is running at max power. 
Perhaps by increasing the CPU fan speed the temperature can be reduced? But I don’t know how to do this on my HP Z1 G5 Tower system.
Thanks

HP Recommended

What you are saying is a two-way street.
If the processor heats up for a long time, in fact, although it is mentioned that the maximum temperature is very high, it may in the long run get damaged.
But if you change the behavior of the fan, especially if it is not of high quality, it is the fan that may fail, and you may damage the processor!
If your computer is not designed so that there is no way to modify this, you will have to go through third-party software
Either it will not work, sometimes it happens, or if you mishandle it, you may be doing more harm than good.
Up to you !
If not, you can try to check if the computer is well ventilated, not in a closed place, check internally if nothing prevents the air circulation (badly placed cable etc)
Regularly clear the air vents!
limit intensive use
lower the video settings a bit
You can also limit the CPU usage a bit, via the power supply options.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Good morning and thanks for your prompt reply.

I understand all of your comments and suggestions,  and I will try some of them.

thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.