Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP xw4600 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP xw4600 Workstation here on which I've just installed a new power supply (600W) as well as a NVidia gtx 760 GPU which I've already tested on the pc I'm currently on to make sure it was in working order (which it definitely is). 

In this HP 4600 Workstation pc, there was originally a NVidia gtx 260 GPU when I first bought it (used from a game company) and it works just fine with the new power supply I just bought.

In other words, I'm quite confident that my new Power supply as well as my NVidia gtx 760 are in working order. 

Now, my problem is that when I install said NVidia gtx 760 on the HP xw4600 Workstation, i get a flashing red light above the power button on the pc and it flashes 6 times (which, according to my calculations involving barely any numbers at all really, refers to a GPU problem - which, let's be honest, makes perfect sense).

I've read about some people switching from UEFI boot to Legacy in order to fix this type of issue but I can't seem to find anyone with the exact same specs as me. And, in all my efforts to try this out, I can't seem to figure out how to switch from UEFI boot mode to legacy because, according to one or two tutorials/articles that I've seen on the subject, the bios screenshots look nothing like my bios. 

I've also read somewhere that upgrading my bios might be an option as well. Though, being a complete noob in this sort of thing, I'd rather not do it until I get such a recommendation from an expert keeping my setup and pc model and all that in mind. 🙂

That said, I'm fresh out of ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Biggest problems is that the xw4600 is over 10 years old so there are not any options for UEFI; it can only do "Legacy Mode" and there are no options to switch to anything else.

However, if the power requirements are met, I can't see why it wouldn't work. (Have to keep in mind we have never tested this config.)

The PCI slot SHOULD be putting out 95w, but that is an old system and may not be supplying that power enough to the likings of that card.

I can only suggest disabling any devices in the BIOS that you don't need. (Like SAS raid, et al.)

The latest BIOS that we made for that unit can be downloaded here.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Biggest problems is that the xw4600 is over 10 years old so there are not any options for UEFI; it can only do "Legacy Mode" and there are no options to switch to anything else.

However, if the power requirements are met, I can't see why it wouldn't work. (Have to keep in mind we have never tested this config.)

The PCI slot SHOULD be putting out 95w, but that is an old system and may not be supplying that power enough to the likings of that card.

I can only suggest disabling any devices in the BIOS that you don't need. (Like SAS raid, et al.)

The latest BIOS that we made for that unit can be downloaded here.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Yeah... makes sense. The bios part and also the fact that the card may not be getting enough power to fully function. oh well, I'm gonna go ahead and mark that as an answer. 

I knew this day would come when I'd have to put abit of extra money for that second gaming-ish pc 😛

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.