Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0280z CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0280z CTO.

AMD has released a fix for their processors having stuttering/lag when using integrated fTPM.  There are many websites describing the problem and fix.  See ( AMD Issues Fix and Workaround for Ryzen's fTPM Stuttering Issues | Tom's ) as an example.

I checked my product support page for a BIOS update and there is none.

When will HP release an updated BIOS to fix AMD fTPM stuttering?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

hi

sorry, but only hp could answer this question..
And since it's primarily a user support community, you might be waiting a long time for a response.
Contact hp directly!

https://www.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/contact.html

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

+1, I would really like to see HP take this as an opportunity to improve the BIOS.
I came on to this forum to complain about it's basic nature, https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Feature-Request-Manual-Customizable-Fan-Curves-in-BIOS... , but so far no luck.

HP Recommended

My situation is this.

My warranty just recently expired, but this issue existed long before my warranty expiration.  Do you believe I should contact HP support, pay them to open a case which they will likely have no information about, and get zero satisfaction?

If anyone reads this and has a way to contact HP support to request this fix, I am asking you please.

I am asking on behalf of thousands of HP customers.

I reiterate that this issue has been fixed by AMD, see:  AMD BIOS Updates Arrive To Resolve Ryzen TPM Stuttering Issue In Windows.

Also, updated BIOS images have already been released by many manufacturers; see: AMD's Bugfix for Ryzen Stuttering Now Widely Available

HP Recommended

Sorry, but I can't know what HP will or won't do, if a bios update is planned..
Indeed, if you are no longer under warranty, either you will not be able to contact them, or as you say..
and in this case it really isn't worth it.
I can't tell you anything more

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello @PM000 

Latest BIOS is:

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 87C3)

F.23 Rev.A11.5 MBApr 10, 2022Download

Fixes:

- Updates the code for the 2022Q1 security enhancement.

HP Recommended

I already have this BIOS version installed.

The "fixes" described on the support website (which you copied and pasted here) are vague, however I believe they have nothing to do with fixing the fTPM stuttering.

Rather, I think they have something to do with a BIOS security problem with a wide range of HP products.

If you believe this update does more than is stated, please reply.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello @PM000 

The HP technical team should be contacted to address the fTPM issue...

Security Bulletins

https://support.hp.com/us-en/security-bulletins

=> 1 Search result for fTPM <=

HPSBHF03593 rev. 2 - Firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) for Select AMD Client Systems

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06154544

( old one )

HP Recommended

interesting @ub6424 
but you did not find more recent, here it is mentioned

It is said that if it is in progress, it must be mentioned as described in this link

Release date : 28-Sep-2018
Last updated : 07-Feb-2019
Pending: SoftPaq is in progress.
Under Investigation: SoftPaq is being investigated for feasibility and availability.
Not Available: SoftPaq not available due to technical or logistical constraints.
F.23 Rev.A11.5 MBApr 10, 2022

The last bios update installed is quite recent, if they are aware, curious that it is not mentioned yet, the problem here seems to be already being solved

unless it's considered a security issue!?

@PM000  I think you'll have to wait a bit, if not enough people complain about this specific problem

{edit] it can indeed take a bit of time, in view of what Amd explains, which even explains how to circumvent this, in an inconvenient way!!

This documentation provides information on improving intermittent performance stutter(s) on select PCs running Windows® 10 and 11 with Firmware Trusted Platform Module (“fTPM”) enabled.

Issue Description

AMD has determined that select AMD Ryzen™ system configurations may intermittently perform extended fTPM-related memory transactions in SPI flash memory (“SPIROM”) located on the motherboard, which can lead to temporary pauses in system interactivity or responsiveness until the transaction is concluded.

Update and Workaround

Update: Affected PCs will require a motherboard system BIOS (sBIOS) update containing enhanced modules for fTPM interaction with SPIROM. AMD expects that flashable customer sBIOS files to be available starting in early May, 2022. Exact BIOS availability timing for a specific motherboard depends on the testing and integration schedule of your manufacturer. Flashable updates for motherboards will be based on AMD AGESA 1207 (or newer).

Workaround: As an immediate solution, affected customers dependent on fTPM functionality for Trusted Platform Module support may instead use a hardware TPM (“dTPM”) device for trusted computing. Platform dTPM modules utilize onboard non-volatile memory (NVRAM) that supersedes the TPM/SPIROM interaction described in this article.

COMPATIBILITY: Please check with your system or motherboard manufacturer to ensure that your platform supports add-in dTPM modules before attempting or implementing this workaround.

WARNING: If switching an active system from fTPM to dTPM, it is critical that you disable TPM-backed encryption systems (e.g. BitLocker Drive Encryption) and/or back up vital system data prior to switching TPM devices. You must have full administrative access to the system, or explicit support from your IT administrator if the system is managed. For more information on transferring ownership to a new TPM device, please visit this Microsoft webpage.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

This is very frustrating.  Adding a reply so that if HP monitors this thread, they can see more people are having the same issue.  A brand new laptop should not have this trouble.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.