Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 880-115ns
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Is the Noctua NH-U14S compatible with Omen 880? Ie, will I have bios issues if I install one? Also, will the cooler block the first PCI-E slot?

Thanks in advance,

Horia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the update on your problem, @HoriaM.  I am sorry that it didn't work for you.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@HoriaM, welcome to the forum.

@HoriaM wrote:

Hi,

Is the Noctua NH-U14S compatible with Omen 880? Ie, will I have bios issues if I install one? Also, will the cooler block the first PCI-E slot?

Thanks in advance,

Horia

This is a question that can be answered better by the manufacturer of the cooler.  They are the experts on their products and know which computers will work with them.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

HI old_geekster,

I have already tried that to no avail. This is also taken from their site, so I was wondering if someone knows more or if someone has already tried this upgrade, even if it means invalidating the warranty:

"Systems from Acer, Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo or other major brands often use motherboards which differ slightly from the specifications issued by Intel and AMD. While those changes are usually subtle, they can lead to compatibility issues with coolers that were built to comply with these specifications.

Even in case the cooler is mechanically compatible and can be installed, other issues can occur, e.g. proprietary fan connectors, BIOS errors due to a low fan speed, shutdowns, etc. Some of these problems can be avoided with some technical knowledge, but especially BIOS related issues can often not be resolved.

Due to the large number of possible issues that cannot be resolved with different mounting parts alone, Noctua does not officially support systems from Acer, Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo or other major brands."

My problem is that my 8700 processor (not even K) gets way too hot at loads (80+ degrees), and to make things worse, the HP bios is the most restrictive I've ever seen. I'm currently running my CPU dowvolted and downclocked, so I cannot fully enjoy it.

Regards,

Horia

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @HoriaM.

It isn't surprising that the manufacturer isn't prepared to guaranty the cooler to work on OEM components.  Although, I don't believe that HP modifies the processors and memory of their products.  They do, however, have their motherboards made to their specs.

I am not certain that you will find anyone on the Forums who has used the cooler.  Members normally come here to solve an existing problem and leave.  They don't come back to lurk very often.

I have seen posts from members who have used third party coolers without problems, but it isn't a common practice.

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me @old_geekster 

I have searched the specs of the Intel stock cooler to at least verify if the RPM values (min, max) are somewhat similar to those of NH-U14s, but to no avail. I have ultimately decided to take the plunge amd order the cooler (NH-U14s). I will mount and I will report my findings here, just in case someone will stumble upon this in the future and he/she might stuck luck with a google search.

HP should have fitted this model with dedicated software (ie HP command center), or they should have given access to the fan controls in BIOS.

On the other hand, Intel's Cofee lake (the I7 at least) should not ship with a cooler that allows the proccesor to thermal throttle (goes often to 100 degrees celcius).

Regards,

Horia

HP Recommended

Thank you for letting me know that you are buying the cooler.  I would appreciate hearing the outcome, @HoriaM.  It may help other members in the future.

HP Recommended

Disaster. 

The cpu cooler could not be fitted because the motherboard's backplate screw holes are thinner than any other Z370 motherboard out there. And to make things better, the backplate is soldered/glued on the motherboard, so no luck with that one.

To make things worse, after I mounted the original CPU cooler back, every time I start the PC, all three fans run at full speed. I have tried resetting the PC by removing all cables and holding the power button 15 seconds. I tried installing 3rd party apps to control the fan speed but I already knew it would not be possible. So what's left now is to wait one month for my PC to be fixed by the HP technical service in Spain (most services move this fast over here)

Same issue as described here - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Extra-Noisy-fan-in-OMEN-880-007...

Conclusion: Noctua fans, at least NH-U12, U14 and U15 cannot be fitted in the OMEN 880 chassis without serious modification.

Regards,

Horia

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update on your problem, @HoriaM.  I am sorry that it didn't work for you.

HP Recommended

Hi HOriaM,

I have an HP-880 with a I7 7700 wiht the same problem too. I am from Spain and my room is about 29º C, and when i play to something the temperatures goes to 82º C. I had to change the speed to 3,6 GHZ and no turbo mode for dont overheat the CPU.   😞

I bought an Enermax Liqmax II 120. As you said in another reply, the blackplate in the HP motherboard is soldered... but i had an idea, i bought some 3mm screws and put them from the back of the motherboard to the front and bougth 3mm nut to fit the waterblock. All seems good (sorry i dont have photos) the fit was good, but the real problem of this motherboard is the capacitors near the socket,  so the waterblock did not touch the cpu. This waterblock is very big, i dont know if there are others smaller for avoid this problem.

I was looking  now for Nh coolers because it seems similar to the one we have, with the four screws. I had search in google and see that you try to install it without luck, but i think it is posible with the screws that i mention before. The only thing is if the base of the cooler is small enougth to avoid the capacitors.

The full speed of the coolers is caused because you did not install one of the small connectors on the motherboard (I think it was 2) that take the temperature of the HDD and the upper bay.

Sorry for my bad english.

HP Recommended

Hi Javier,

I did install the connector properly. I troubleshot the system for two days with no success and eventually gave up and returned it. Before returning it, I connected and used the NH14 fan on top of the stock fan. It was actually doing a better job than the stock cooler even without the heatsink installed, although the max RPM is alot lower, but that was probably to be expected from a premium and rather large cooler.

As for your query, I can only assist you with a guess - I believe that the base is small enough. I hope you succeed with your installation.

Since then, I kept the NH14 cooler and built a new system.

Regards,

Horia

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.