Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop PC GT12-1000a (ID 1Z1C0AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I did a windows update last night including optional updates (sorry don’t know which updates).  As part of the process it went to a screen where it was updating the BIOS.  After restarting there is no display going to the monitor but pc starts up as fan is spinning and lights inside case are coming on.

any help would be appreciated 

thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Have you tried the steps to recover your BIOS, highlighted here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_3966820-3438449-16

The Keypress method has been helpful for users with similar issues. The USB drive + keypress is another option.

Also, do you per chance have a Ryzen 5000-series CPU? Edit: actually for future reference, linking your product ID (see HP dashboard) will give us an exact list of parts/drivers etc. NOTE DO NOT POST YOUR SERIAL

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply 

I have tried the steps in the link you provided but haven’t been able to fix the issue yet.

I’ve tried the key press method but I’ve only got a wireless keyboard, not sure if that is an issue?

Also I’ve tried downloading BIOS from the website, then ran that application then it installs a file c:\SWSetup\SP136205\08876F12.exe  but running that doesn’t start HP BIOS update and recovery like described in the guide.

My processor is the Ryzen 5700g

Product ID: 587L8EA#ABU

HP Recommended

I have heard more people say the BIOS Update & Recovery program wouldn't boot, some tried different PCs and then it would. Not sure why, I guess you tried running it as administrator?

The wireless keyboard might be an issue indeed, it probably requires some drivers to be recognized as such, but it could also be that you wiped the harddrive with a new Windows install, which potentially removes some of the recovery methods listed in the previous link. (I fear this is why I can't recover my motherboard with the keypress or the keypress + flash drive recovery method.)

I recommend you contact HP support as quick as possible to get the process started, preferably by calling them Monday morning at 8:00 AM on their telephone, before monday you can start your case through: support.hp.com
The motherboard might need to be replaced if you can't recover the BIOS with the steps linked previously.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.