Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am going to have to disagree with this one, the difference between PCIe Gen 3 and 4 is negligible, in addition, currently only AMD has PCIe4 in on their motherboards, HP Omen 30L (brand new model) with Z490 chipset is using Gen 3 PCIe, and selling 3070 and 3080 with those computers. So the PCIe generation is not and should not be a factor in your decision, the only thing you should worry about is availability and potentially PSU, that's it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for all your comments. I also think PCIe 4 still does not make a difference, perhaps in a few years?

So, I took the step forward, bought the car and try. I order for the OMEN to accept the new card, I had to access the BIOS, disable Secure boot and activate Legacy boot following these instructions: https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c03653200

Downloaded drivers and is installed. However...I am getting 4 short “beeps” when starting up the computer. Will try to find out what is going on... if anyone has an idea, I am all ears 🙂

HP Recommended

it's funny I expected at some point to have this type of answer
Except that a little bit here, a little bit there, and your computer is not as efficient as it should
On the other hand we are ready to overcloker his pc, for a minimum gain but a greater risk of overheating.
Anyway, all that remains is to troubleshoot the user with these beeps now, I leave the hand, good luck!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi Prométhée,

Thank you for your answer. Good to hear you can foresee answers from other people.

My computer will never be able to be 100% efficient. As a matter of fact, it was as well not 100% efficient before changing the GPU. I am no expert, but that does not make me naive. I know this card is slightly above the CPU's capabilities, but that is something I can live with, bottlenecking is quite common (just take a look at this forum, I am not the first with similar requests). The reason why I opened this post is to consult with other people about their opinion on the PSU capabilities with these components.

Just to clarify: I am not overclocking this PC. Not the CPU, not the GPU. I am just changing the GPU, for a considerable gain in performance. If you do not want to help with the beeps, that is fine, but please there is no need for messages like that.

Thanks for your time.

HP Recommended

Sorry, if you didn't understand my answer
you actually asked advice for the power supply, I answered that
Now someone always has to contradict what is said, or give bad choices.
You now see where you are, what is the point of giving advice, if the opposite is true, and the user is lost, and ends up with a non-functional computer!
So I prefer to erase myself, it is not against you!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello Prométée,

Sorry if I misinterpreted your last answer. 

I do hope you do not erase yourself, everyone is welcome here 🙂 Just for info, the computer starts normally and everything seems to be OK. Only these 4 short beeps are present on start up.

Still investigating what can it be...

EDIT: There are 4 beeps, not 3

HP Recommended

this could be a graphics card problem, which would seem logical
or power
there may be other causes, we do not have all the hp motherboard codes here ..
But with what we have seen and said it seems to be one of the two

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

what exactly did you buy then, link?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Hi there,

The Link seems to be for cases where the computer does not start, but mine does start normally and goes to Windows with no problems. Just the 4 quick and short beeps.

I bought a RTX 3060 Ti. I will check if I can find the link.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

So, after a lot of reading and research, I come to the conclusion that the 4 beeps are happening due to an overload of the PSU. But there is more.

It is not an easy conclusion to reach, as I do not suffer from the typical "warning signs" that would easily qualify the issue, such as flashing LED in red or inability to boot the system, so I might be wrong and the problem could be elsewhere. I went through the manual and support site from my PC and could not find any information for this error.

Here is the documentation I found which tends to make me think this is the issue, even when I have no certainty:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04293196 (Page 200)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01516072 (Page 58 Appendix A)

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrade-of-Video-Card-Fails-on-... (Post in the forums)

Now, something is fishy here. By changing the GPU I have added few W into the overall PC consumption, and the beeping happens before even starting Windows, when there is almost no power load into the PSU (I did not dare to stress the new GPU). As @hwsense user has commented previously, it's possible to run i7 9700F + 2070 with a 400W PSU, both being more demanding components energy-wise than the ones in my computer.

If my conclusion is correct and the 4 beeps are because overloading the PSU,  I am not sure my PSU is actually 500W, or at least manufactured to operate at 500W. Or perhaps, it simply has a threshold which activates this beeps from the bios once a certain power load is reached, but certainly not at any point remotely close to its limit. Here is another suspicious case I found, of someone having the PSU capabilities and having the same issues when changing the GPU: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/4-fast-beeps-at-POST-on-z840-with-NVIDIA-RTX-3...

At any case, I hope this might help anyone similar to my situation. I look forward to comments from anyone who could point me if I am mistaken in my assumption and the issue comes from elsewhere. Alternatively, I will return the GPU and sell the computer as is.

HP Recommended

This is what I said from the start, if the power supply is not sufficient, we can expect problems
'' I bought a RTX 3060 Ti. I will check if I can find the link. ''
you still haven't indicated what the exact model is

Here is an example of what I explained, for the model here the manufacturer recommends a power supply of : 650w and 2 x 8 pins

https://fr.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3060-Ti-GAMING-X-TRIO/Specification

so this may not be the case for yours, but we are far from 500w
Then there can always be another problem, but there anyway, is it when replacing the graphics card, that you have these beeps now?

you could very well not have this problem with other rtx 3060 model, but the age of the motherboard, that doesn't help either

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.