Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 25L GT12-0039ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello community,

I want to share my experience expanding the memory of my Omen 25L with Intel processor, hoping to help who is trying to do the same.

My model specs are the following: https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c06993892

In short, it is an Intel model with a Core i7-10700 (non K) with an HP Dorado motherboard. HP Gaming Hub does not show any overclocking option.

It was shipped with 16 GB of RAM, 2 x 8 DIMM modules installed in slot 1 and 3 (more on this later), Hyperx branded, that was running at stock max speed of 2933 MHz, and wanted to expand to 32 GB buying 2 more 8 gig DIMMs.

Reading through this and other forums, I understood that my 25L (and 30L too) wants RAM modules with the appropriate JEDEC profile, in my case 2933 MHz CL 21. Even models with the overclocking option in HP Gaming Hub use 3200 MHz JEDEC profile and not XMP ones, that are not officially supported (from what I understood).

So I found this module on Kingston site: https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR32N22S6_8.pdf

It is a module with JEDEC profile up to 3200 MHz, not really needed for me but it closely matches the pre-installed Hyperx RAM, that has 3200 and 2933 profile, as well as many slower speeds.

I bought 2 of them and installed, in slot 3 and 4, moving the original ones in slot 1 and 2.

Now I have 32 GB running at 2933 MHz and I'm happy 🙂

VERY IMPORTANT: when installing new RAM, it's needed to put identical DIMMs in pair in the same channel when using all 4 slots, or they will underclock. In my Dorado motherboard, I have 4 DIMM slot and by mistake I put new modules in slots 2 and 4, leaving pre-installed Hyperx ones in slots 1 and 3. In this way the memory was running at 2400 MHz only!

Rearranging Hyperx DIMMs in slot 1 and 2, and new Kingstone DIMMs in slot 3 and 4 they are able to run at max speed, 2933.

TL;DR: buy DIMMs with the needed JEDEC profile and install them in identical pairs in the same channel when using all 4 memory slots.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Great find, thank you. Where did you buy the new ram from and how much it costed you? 

HP Recommended

You're welcome, expecially because most of the information I got are from your posts and videos 🙂

I bought my RAM from Amazon Italy, where I live, shipped from an italian shop; just searched for Kingston part number.

I know there is an (official?) shop in UK, https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/ that has this kind of DIMMs, not ideal for me as the package has to go through custom with fees and taxes, because of Brexit.

And there is a german shop selling on Ebay "certified" ram for various models of Omens 25L and 30L, from an unknown (at least for me) PHS Memory manufacturer.

Tried to find JEDEC profile informations on datasheets from other RAM manufacturers, but they are pretty vague and went for the safer choice.

Of course my 1st choice was to buy some extra memory directly from HP, but the official reseller I contacted asked for 440 euros for 2x8 DIMMs, crazy. I guess HP is not willing to sell this memory modules for aftermarket memory expansion, but they only keep some stocks for hardware replacements.

Too bad here in Europe we don't have the option to customize the configuration of our Omens while buying, we can only get what is pre-configured and sold as-is.

HP Recommended

Great information and thanks for supporting my efforts as well! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.