Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I bought this computer from best buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-5800x-16gb-hyperx-memory-nvidia-gefo...

I loaded it up first time, and let windows do its full update.  I restarted the computer and it came up just fine.  I then checked to make sure the graphics drivers were up to date.  I saw, using Gforce experience that there was an update to 511.79 so I did the recommended install using experience.  While it was updating drivers it did it's restart as it should.  When loading back up on the Omen load screen it froze.  The only way I could get it to come back on was to press the power button to restart the computer.  Then every time I try to use the restart option from windows it freezes on the Omen load screen.  I can use the shut down option then hit the power button and it will come up fine.  I can also just hit the power button as a restart button and it will load fine, however, it will always freeze if I use the windows restart or if a program needs to restart the computer to make the changes.  I exchanged this computer thinking it might have been a one off with a faulty component or something.  I got another computer exactly the same and got the same results.  This time instead of using experience I tried to go directly to the Nvidia website and download the driver directly from them.  I even did the custom install to get a fresh clean install.  Still had the same issue.   Please any help would be nice.  I would hate to have to return the computer yet again and never again buy a HP or recommend that anyone buy one.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have an update, and frankly I am not happy about it at all.  Using the Nvidia driver site I clicked on the older version and beta version driver selection.  Aparently there are two types of Drivers for Nvidia.  Standard and DCH.  Seems all the updated drivers are DCH drivers, which are absolutely not compatible with this build of Omen computers.  The driver that works for this computer is the latest standard Driver from december of last year.  Of coarse Gforce experience doesn't notice this, and no normal person would if they just went to the gforce driver or nvidia driver site since you have to really hunt for the older version tab.  So yeah,  a brand new computer is incompatible with the new drivers and cannot be upgraded.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.