Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm new to the PC modding game so if this is an obvious answer I apologize in advance. I'm upgrading from an HDD to an SSD. I have all the hardware required and was just glancing over things before I go to install it tomorrow. It seems like the only way to mount the SSD bracket to the hard drive bay is to remove the whole thing. However, I don't see a way to do that. Is there a way to remove the entire hard drive bay, or do I even have to? Any advice would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On your Omen 870, is there not a release latch on the side of the cage adjacent to the drive that you can pull on to release the drive?

release latch on side of cage 870.JPG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello again @cappedomnivore 

Depends on what you mean as far as SSD bracket is concerned.

If you have a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch HDD caddy, the caddy would simply install in place of the full sized HDD.

You would take the screws out of the old HDD and put them in the same respective holes on the caddy.

Shouldn't be any need to tear the whole HDD cage apart.

Does that help?

HP Recommended

Yes, I am going from a 3.5 to a 2.5. I seems there's no way to get to the screws on the original hard drive than to remove the bay. I'm also planning on keeping the old HDD in as storage. 

HP Recommended

On your Omen 870, is there not a release latch on the side of the cage adjacent to the drive that you can pull on to release the drive?

release latch on side of cage 870.JPG

HP Recommended

Ahhh yes, I see that now. Like I said, I'm still new to this. That makes life so much easier. Thanks for the heads up!! 

HP Recommended

Good to hear.

Let me know if you have other questions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.