cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Boyddr
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Omen 880-010 Processor upgrade question

HP Recommended
omen 880-010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Alright so I've done a few minor upgrades so far. I've upgraded to 16gb RAM and changed out the 1060 3gb for a AMD RX 580 8gb. 

I'm now looking at upgrading the processor to a Ryzen 7 1800x with an AMD Wraith Max cooler. I don't plan on OC'ing at all. Looking at the specifications/upgrade page; I am wondering if I am only limited to the Ryzen 5 1400/1600 and the Ryzen 7 1700/1800x. I would totally grab a Ryzen 7 2700x but the upgrade sheet is only showing the prior 4 options. I am not too savvy with upgrading so I am just trying to understand why 1800x is the highest I can go according to the sheet.

Reference: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/model/16842113/do...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,604 684 1,666
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The Higos AM4 socket supports Ryzen 2000 series processors but HP would have to update the BIOS to enable additional CPU support.

HP has a current BIOS update (Link) but no mention if this BIOS update provides additional CPU support.

Finally, the Higos motherboard (MB) seems to have a modified CPU cooling backplate structure which is a square mounting system to install a heatsink/fan that is similar to Intel's configuration.

AMD's AM4 CPU socket design is rectangular. It appears HP has modified this on the Higos MB.. I don't know the Higos MB CPU mounting point dimensions and other folks in the forum have had this problem using a Higos MB. Never saw a solution to this issue. Don't know what CPU cooler fits this MB.

You may have a problem installing both a Ryzen 2700 CPU and a Wraith cooler.

Regards

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
6 REPLIES 6
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,604 684 1,666
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The Higos AM4 socket supports Ryzen 2000 series processors but HP would have to update the BIOS to enable additional CPU support.

HP has a current BIOS update (Link) but no mention if this BIOS update provides additional CPU support.

Finally, the Higos motherboard (MB) seems to have a modified CPU cooling backplate structure which is a square mounting system to install a heatsink/fan that is similar to Intel's configuration.

AMD's AM4 CPU socket design is rectangular. It appears HP has modified this on the Higos MB.. I don't know the Higos MB CPU mounting point dimensions and other folks in the forum have had this problem using a Higos MB. Never saw a solution to this issue. Don't know what CPU cooler fits this MB.

You may have a problem installing both a Ryzen 2700 CPU and a Wraith cooler.

Regards

Boyddr
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the informed response.

I am now wondering how would a AMD cooler fit on the Higos MB if it’s been modified?

I’m deciding between the r7 1700 and the r7 1800x. The 1700 comes with a wraith spire cooler...how would I fit it on if it’s set up for an Intel configuration?

I am considering the 1700 over the 1800x since the 1700 TDP is 65w plus it comes with the Wraith Spire.

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,604 684 1,666
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

As far as I know it is not possible to install an AMD type CPU cooler on the Higos MB.

Don't know if an Intel heatsink/fan will work either.

You would have to measure the MB CPU backplate mounting points and compare to an Intel system to see if you get a match. You may have to remove the MB to install the correct backplate. 

I don't know if it is possible since no one has ever replied with a solution to this problem in this forum.

Regards

Regards

Boyddr
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I might bite the bullet and see what I have to do. Any recommendations on which backplate I may need to replace the current one?

or maybe just replace the motherboard all together?

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,604 684 1,666
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The MB backplate is included when you buy a new CPU heatsink/fan.

Changing the MB means you will probably have to buy a new W10 operating system product key.

HP will also not honor any time left on the warranty.

You might as well buy a new chassis if you are going to change the MB. 

Regards

schrst
Level 1
8 6 0 3
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wraith Cooler will not fit higos motherboard. Something I didn't know until I upgraded my ryzen 1400 to 1600X. Last prebuilt pc I ever purchase.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation