Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-157c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been experiencing sleep/wake issues. If my desktop goes to asleep after initial boot-up, I can wake it the first time, but if I let it attempt to fall asleep again, the monitor will go to sleep and the computer will remain on (red lights on and fans running). I cannot wake the system. The monitor display remains asleep but the computer, including Omen lights are on. The keyboard and mouse have no lights on and are unresponsive.  The computer is completely locked up. The only way to wake up the computer is to conduct a hard reset by holding down the power button. I tried to unplug the displayport cable to the monitor and a host of other troubleshooting steps recommended, but nothing worked.

I had to do a selective startup by typing "msconfig" into the "search" window. I clicked the "Services" tab,  checked the box for "Hide all Microsoft services", then "disable all" to stop all non-Microsoft services. I also went to "Task Manager" to disable all "Startup" items. After hours of bringing back services online individually and testing my sleep/wake function by pressing the "power" button to place the computer in standby mode and then waking it with the keyboard or mouse, and then repeating this a second time to see if it would lock up, I found that the service "XTUOCDriverService" which is actually named XTU3Service, that was the culprit. Unfortunately it took me several hours to finally get to this one during my troubleshooting steps.

After finding this bad service, I restored all of the services and startup items (Normal Startup) to verify that the issue was still there and consistent. I then went back into "MSCONFIG" and then the "Service" tab to "UNCHECK" the "XTUOCDriverService" and then restarted the computer. Success! I can now wake my computer anytime I goes to sleep. The best thing also is that I did not lose my ability to overclock my computer with the HP Omen Command Center (OCC), which is buggy anyway. I have to manually set my i7-9700K to 3.6 ghz because to default only sets it to 4.6 ghz (another issue).

There is a problem with the XTU3Service driver that allows you to overclock your "K" processors. It is interfering with the sleep/wake function of the HP Gaming Desktop. I've tried so many steps to uninstall the OCC, reinstall it, step down to the older versions, tried the disaster Microsoft Store version (removed all of my System Restore points and would not overclock), updated the OCC SDK packages and tried the older versions as well, install the newest versions of the HP Event Utility and the HP Support Assistant, but nothing fixes this issue. Now I live with an expensive high-performance HP Gaming system that has to operate in "Selective Startup" mode because it locks-up if I let it go into sleep mode a second time after it initially boots. We need an update for this XTU driver and Intel has no information regarding this situation. Has anyone figured out how to get rid of this issue and allow Normal startup of the computer?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I have been experiencing the very same sleep/wake issues reported by @WAYZOR. The following behavior is fully consistent with mine "If my desktop goes to asleep after initial boot-up, I can wake it the first time, but if I let it attempt to fall asleep again, the monitor will go to sleep and the computer will remain on (red lights on and fans running). I cannot wake the system. The monitor display remains asleep but the computer, including Omen lights are on. The keyboard and mouse have no lights on and are unresponsive.  The computer is completely locked up. The only way to wake up the computer is to conduct a hard reset by holding down the power button."

After a Windows clean install, as soon as I install the HP SDK package the computer will crash entering the sleep mode. It took me hours to nail down the issue. Please release an update for the XTU driver!

HP Recommended

👍👍👍so great information and troubleshooting steps. Really great sharing. 

HP Recommended

Hi @WAYZOR

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region for assistance 

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi @Wayzor, I noticed that HP has released a new version of the OMEN Command Center SDK Package (1.0.28 Rev.A) on the 18th of May. It doesn't mention the sleep mode issue, however I was wondering if the actually fixed this problem. Have you installed this latest package?

HP Recommended

You can try the latest OMEN SDK package to see if issue can be fixed, following below address to find the "Software-solutions", you can see the OMEN Command Center SDK package.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-880-100-desktop-pc-series/18695893

OMEN Command Center SDK Package

1.0.28 Rev.A45.6 MBMay 18, 2020
HP Recommended

Morning Albatro19, I have not tried the update as of yet. Right now I can overclock without a problem and wake the computer fine, so I am hesitant to try the new SDK. This can be so painful to overcome these updates that cause issues. I might try this weekend when I have more time available. Additionally, I am still unable to get the Omen Command Center (OCC) to update using the "UPDATE" tab because it states that I need to update the HP Support Assistant, which I currently have the latest version. This software is so buggy.

HP Recommended

Well, I tried the new Omen Command Center SDK Package with no change. No fix with this update. HP did not address the sleep/wake issue or fix the inability to update the OCC within the program. I still have to uncheck "XTUOCDriverService" in System Services to allow my computer to go to sleep and wake normally. I can still overclock and retain the overclock setting even with the "XTUOCDriverService" unchecked. The driver is definitely the problem and possibly the same cause for the inability to update within the OCC program.

HP Recommended

@WAYZORthanks for your sharing.

could you please help to check the XTU version on your product?

go to Device manager, and "Software Components", and check the "Intel XTU component device", and find our the driver version.

It will be helpful to identify if it is old XTU version or latest XTU version. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Intel(R) XTU Component Device - Driver Version 6.5.2.38, dated 4/20/2020. HP Omen Command Center SP98588.exe. HP Omen Command Center SDK Package SP104002.exe. HP Support Assistant Version 9.6.598.0. HP System Event Utility Version 1.1.14.0.

System specifications:

HP OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p157c

System BIOS: F.51

Processor: i7-9700K, liquid cooling Corsair H80i V2 (rear fans (2) push/pull fan configuration- pump CPU_Fan Controller) + 2 front supply air fans (very cool 34 C - 67 C max while gaming)/Overclock to 5.2GHZ while gaming (stable)

System SSD: Samsung 970 PRO NVME M.2 512GB

Power Supply Unit: Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000W (Modular Cable Connectors)

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (overclocked during gaming)

Memory: Ballistix by Micron Gaming Memory 32GB (8GB X 4) DDR4 -2666

SSDs: 3 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB and 1 X Samsung 860 EVO 512GB

DVD Drive

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.