Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk PC - 875-1040st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just recently had a Windows update on my system and it is messing with my computer's ability to read CPU/GPU temperatures within the Omen Command Center.  I first noticed the problem as my GPU (2080 Ti) was being thermally throttled during a game of Overwatch (not very demanding on hardware).  In further review, the CPU/GPU fans were not spinning faster to keep up with thermal loads.  I downloaded Speedfan to read temperatures of the CPU/GPU and found them to be high.  The GPU was pegged at 85C during games, and the CPU is in the 55C range.  I downloaded the MSI Afterburner software to see if I could manually increase the GPU fans.  This works just fine.  However, I cannot seem to manually increase the CPU fan speed through any software.  I believe this is because HP has locked this feature out.

What is strange is when looking at the Omen Command Center, during the same operation it shows the GPU and CPU at -1 C.  Therefore it thinks everything is fine and does not need to speed up the fans.

I'm very confused as to why the Omen Command Center (and software that should be controlling CPU/GPU fans) isn't reading correctly.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been banging my head against this wall for 2 days.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @SealTeamFive   I moved your question to the Gaming section of the forum since you have an Omen.

Did you resolve your other question about using faster ram? I just read that but noticed it was dated the first part of Sept, so I assume you found the answer. There is no way to adjust timings in an HP bios. Purchasing overclocked ram will only get down-clocked and sometimes even have issues anyway.

Moving forward... Its possible a Windows update skewed the Omen Command Center (OCC). Its been known to happen lately.

If you have restore points turned on, you could roll back Windows prior to the update.

But try the following in the order I have it. 

Uninstall what ever version of the OCC is installed now.

• Go to your Start Menu and uninstall it if it shows up.

Install these...
Get OMEN Command Center - Microsoft Store
Get HP System Event Utility - Microsoft Store
OMEN Command Center SDK sp98588.exe

The most important part:  Force Windows Updates to search for updates again.

• Go to updates and click on the Search for Updates button, even if it shows its up to date. If it already shows updates pending, let them install, then search again. If it finds any, install them and reboot the computer. Then do it again (search again until no more are found).

Go to Windows Services and scroll down to HP Omen HSA Service and make sure its set to Running - Automatic.

Let me know if it works. 🙂

You might also have to update your bios as well, but you have a CTO version of the Obelisk which means you could have one of three different motherboards. If you open the HP Support Assistant and find the Specs menu, tell me what the motherboard ID number is and I can post the bios version you should have.

NOTE: Don't update the bios from the HP Support Assistant. You need to do it manually.

HP Recommended
Mine personally is accurate. Check to ensure that you have the System Event Utility Driver from HP, the OMEN SDK, and that your Intel chipset drivers are up to date. I had to go into device manager and manually force an auto update for Intel to update my drivers, but I also wasn't having any issue before this, so I'd check to ensure that you have the drivers I mentioned above.
HP Recommended

@Freya009 

The system event utility in the HP drivers site is no longer updated. That's why I put the link for the MS Store version above.

But thanks for the input.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.