Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
880-P1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just wondering i have a 880-P1xx with a Tampa2 motherboard and i was wondering if there was anything in bios or a program where i can change my fan speeds as i want to start Folding@Home  but my temps get too hot?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Check your Bios, some of them have a quiet and a performance modes inside. 

HP Recommended

Right now the CPu is controleld by the bios

GPU you need to use MSI afterburner and select the cogwheel, fan tab, and set user fan control check mark and adjsut the curve up so fan kicks in higher at higher temps

HP Obilisk After burner fan settings.jpg

HP Recommended

@Cool_Dude_123 wrote:

Just wondering i have a 880-P1xx with a Tampa2 motherboard and i was wondering if there was anything in bios or a program where i can change my fan speeds as i want to start Folding@Home  but my temps get too hot?

Just so you know, P1xx is just the model series . We need the Product Number to look up your info.

Press Ctrl/Alt/S to open the info menu and you can find that info. It takes a few seconds to open.

I assume you are saying your CPU temp is high since you weren't specific. How hot is hot?

The 880 series does not have a fan speed control. The Omen Command Center only offers up to 3 Performance modes depending on what your specs are. The Performance Modes will either throttle or allow full power to the system which would determine fan speed also, but not in a manual control sort of way.

The bios has no controls to choose fan speed or Performance Modes. HP bios is locked down.

If your (Intel?) CPU is getting into the 90's and you want it lower, the only other way to drop temps (other than possibly re-pasting or getting a bigger cooler) is to disable the Turbo Boost feature. To do this... most users like ThrottleStop to undervolt the CPU power. Or you might have success going to the Power options > Advanced settings > Max processor state and drop it down between 99-94%.

max processor state.JPG

That's about all I can offer for CPU temps. Let me know if you have other questions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.