Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 0685no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

The backround story:

Bought a PC (HP Pavilion Gaming 0685no) a couple months ago because the price was right for me. It was small. semi sexy and the parts+os inside mostly good stuff at a reasonable price. So decided not to build from ground up this time. Sweet I thought. However after spending some time alone with it I realized it was way too hot for me. 😞 (I guess due to its size) So I needed to cool it down (a lot) and got a water cooling block for the cpu + thermal paste + some bits and bobs to make it functional and sleek. Took out my drill and had fun with the case to make it plausable. HP threw a curveball with glued cpu cooler backplate on the motherboard but I overcame and got the cpu temps down by 20-30 celcius. Felt like a true champion 🙂

Valokuva henkilöltä JR (1).jpgValokuva henkilöltä JR.jpg

The twist:

Sadly now it's over. HP assistant or some such decided BIOS update F.22 Rev.A was needed and I love updates so I pressed the "big red button". Phoof... temps to boiling point and after the second attempt at boot up thermal shutdown.

So now I'm on my old built from scratch PC solving the issue instead of studying and typing some bug report's and cries for help at the same.

So the question being can someone forward this to HP software R&D and is the new F.22 Rev.A a locked update?

Sincerely your M_c_R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, (and sorry about the lag been busy with other things)

It would seem that the problem has been solved by resetting Windows to factory settings (BIOS reset did nothing on it's own). I haven't had much time to do testing or put the processor under real stress but as I can write this without thermal shutdown I'm satisfied and "idle" temps are back to about 35-55C.

Also I got rid of HP assistant just to be on the safe side with future updates 😄 and updated relevant software manually (a pain nowdays that everything usually runs smooth on the backround)

Thank you and hope others with similar issues have found workarounds too

McR

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@M_c_R That's quite an impressive detailing you've done, although HP does not recommend changing the thermal paste among other h/w changes on the device, that said, Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the visual effects to make a minor change, also, ensure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings to reduce visual effects:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

I must let you know that its normal for any PC to heat up to an extent, and with a CPU such as the one you have, there's nothing to worry about, for details on why you don't need to worry: Click here to go through the CPU specifications, look under Max temps of the CPU, it supports up to 95°C.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, (and sorry about the lag been busy with other things)

It would seem that the problem has been solved by resetting Windows to factory settings (BIOS reset did nothing on it's own). I haven't had much time to do testing or put the processor under real stress but as I can write this without thermal shutdown I'm satisfied and "idle" temps are back to about 35-55C.

Also I got rid of HP assistant just to be on the safe side with future updates 😄 and updated relevant software manually (a pain nowdays that everything usually runs smooth on the backround)

Thank you and hope others with similar issues have found workarounds too

McR

HP Recommended

@M_c_R

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

.@KrazyToad

It seems the problem was only half solved. I got a thermal shutdown message today after leaving this desktop idling while I went to have a snack. Yesterday also temps started spiking forcing me to shutdown before the system did it for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.