Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 25L, GT12-1048na
Microsoft Windows 11

I bought this PC just over a year ago, and until now it has been working fine playing games such as Witcher 3 and Baldur's Gate 3 with no issue.

Last week I launched BG3 and just a few seconds after getting into game, the PC screens went black and it restarted (no bluescreen or error message, just a hard restart). This now happens before I even make it into the game menus, just while the game is loading. It also occurs with other games like Witcher 3 that I have previously run fine. As far as I'm aware there were no software or driver updates that happened between the last session where I played BG3 fine and it crashing.

In the event viewer, I see a bugcheck error for "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR (113) The dxgkrnl has detected that a violation has occurred."

PC Specs: HP Omen 25L Gaming PC, GT12-1048na. AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, Geforce RTX 3070 (8GB), 16GB RAM (2x8), HANA motherboard, 500W PSU. No overclocking or anything.

I've tried: Updating graphics drivers, fresh graphics driver install using DDU, disabling nvidia game overlay, changing the PSU (to a 1000W).

It appears that two other people with a similar model PC to mine have reported the same issue, with no useful response on either:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/PC-reboots-when-launching-games...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Computer-restarting-itself-when-launching-game/m-p/856...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Medders_ 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Contact HP Support if you have an extended warranty.

Microsoft does not offer much help at this Site for this error. However the DirectX graphics kernel subsystem is detecting some type of violation.

So it is tough to say if you have a hardware problem or a system file problem. PCs and operating systems are very complex but work great when all the ducks are lined up in a row.

Check system Files. Open an Admin Command prompt.

Enter sfc /scannow

EnterDISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth if you have problems after running sfc /scannow.

The run sfc /scannow again to verify system files have been fixed.

It could be a hardware problem with RAM, graphics card, or the CPU/MB (you tried a different power supply).

Something is causing the DirectX graphics kernel subsystem to freak out.

I would also run HP Diagnostics to check the operating system drive for errors.

Try reinstalling the operating system after backing up data.The same problem after doing this would point to hardware.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.