Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0024
Microsoft Windows 11

I’ve posted about this before!  But the issue has gone away a bit after and now is back.
This is quite a odd issue a requires some explaining to fully understand. Firstly I’ve posted about this before and the ideas given (sadly) did not help.

What specifically occurs is after playing specific games the screen will go black and the gpu ram will max out. It only happens after playing certain games not when they are opened! The games it occurs with range in type. Some are heavy on the gpu, some on the ram, some on the cpu, and it also occurs on some games that put no noticeable heavy load on the system. when a crash occurs the screen goes black and the gpu fans max out, however it still is possible to hear sound from the system and pressing keys can sometimes make sound. However a reboot is required every time, sometimes a few minutes after rebooting it will crash again. 
this issue does not occur year round. It seems to come and go. Basically it will occur for anywhere from a day to a month then not occur for anywhere from a week to a month. The games that were being played the most recent time this issue came back were not intensive on the system.

also when it occurs it usually occurs anything from a few minutes after starting a game to a few hours. 

firstly I think it might be gpu related given the screen going black and gpu fan maxing out when it crashes, I have monitored the temperatures and voltages when it crashes and have seen nothing out of the ordinary. I highly doubt it’s overheating, the room the system is located in is quite cold and the system itself isn’t getting too warm even under load. Theoretically it could be a power unit issue however I have no way of figuring this out, 

things I’ve tried: updating drivers, reinstalling windows, upgrading windows, upgrading to windows 11, reseating ram, resetting the cmos battery, underclocking the gpu, underclocking the cpu, cleaning the system fans, running (a few types) of software to detect the issue, and more.

the games that seem to cause it (keep in mind these only crash it when this issue is occurring):

games that my pc crashes after playing: Aestto corsa, BeamNG.Drive, lawn mowing simulator, American truck simulator, Simple rockets 2, Universe sandbox 2, power washing simulator.

games that it occasionally occurs with: Forza horizon 5, Minecraft (specifically with using mods or using the betacraft launcher), 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@StarTreker,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Perhaps you want to try one more approach to fix your GPU troubles.

Shouldn't take long, and hey, it might just work.

According to: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06614079 your OMEN 30L GT13-0024 Desktop PC has likely been fitted with a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB graphics card.

It doesn't really matter.  What you need to do is uninstall your current Nvidia software -or the AMD software if you happen to have an AMD graphics card.

So, say, as per example, you have an RTX 2060 6GB graphics card.

Uninstall the Nvidia software.

Then download and install the specific driver for your graphics card ONLY. Of course, from the official Nvidia driver download site here: Official Drivers | NVIDIA:

NonSequitur777_0-1660802300351.png

Hit "Search", and voilà:

NonSequitur777_1-1660802362065.png

Download and install. Restart you desktop.

Then download and install the Asus "GPU Tweak III" OC program from here: GPU Tweak III (asus.com).

Restart your desktop.

If all has gone well -and it has for me on four (heavily) upgraded gaming desktops fitted with both high-end AMD and Nvidia graphics cards, you should see something like this pop up shortly each time after Windows has started:

NonSequitur777_3-1660803142025.png

You can just minimize the right-window, and both windows will disappear from view, but will run in the background -minimal CPU usage, too, btw.

Anyway, the only difference is that your GPU Tweak III will say something like "GeForce RTX 2060".

Now you can overclock it a little here and there (see my example) as you would like in the "DEFAULT MODE" and hit "Apply" for any change(s). It will save your setting(s).  If GPU Tweak III determines any setting(s) would crash/destabilize your GPU, it will automatically adjust whatever values are out of bounds, so to speak.  Or you can conveniently hit the "OC MODE" and GPU Tweak III will automatically apply some OC magic on your graphics card.

Let me know if this particular GPU software management resolves your issues.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@StarTreker,

You strike me as a well-informed and intellectually proficient person.

With this in mind, please take a look/read through one or more GPU Tweak III tutorials to get the most out of Tweak: GPU Tweak III (asus.com).

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hi, I have attempted similar softwares (for instance msi afterburner) 

I have tried both over clocking the gpu and underclocking it with afterburner  and it still occurs. This pc still runs GPU intensive games fine. .

HP Recommended

@StarTreker,

Look, I am not terribly impressed with MSI Afterburner -I may have to qualify that a little bit: at least not as long the PC it runs on is sans XMP BIOS access capabilities.

Still, you should at least try my aforementioned Tweak III GPU management method and see if it resolves the issue you described.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hi. I did actually attempt this and also tried using gpu Z to monitor my gpu. I noticed within the log files the GPU core speed drops to 0.0, however the memory power values for the gpu are not effect the cpu is not either, 

HP Recommended

This fix did not solve the issue. When using the app and trying to over clock it a little bit it crashed same with underclocking it a tiny bit.

There is a detail I should clarify, it 50% if the time will crash while playing a game the other 50% it will crash 1-10 minutes after closing a game! Monitoring the stats of the gpu the temperatures do drop down. Around 50-60 by the time it’ll crash. There’s no noticeable spikes in anything 

HP Recommended

@StarTreker,

Thank you for the follow-up, hopefully you found it at least worth the try.

Good luck finding a fix.  When you do, please share!

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hi, I’d like to update you on this! But also anyone also (as I spent lots of times looking around for posts about this for months to find a fix I feel I should at least share what my fix was so other people can see if it works)

couole days ago i posted abiut this somewhere else btw you did help ofc but I wanted to try a few other places to see if I could find someone who might just know the fix and that’s exactly what happened. Recommended fix to me was reinstalling the drivers hp supplied for this desktop model (from hp’s official website ofc). Didn’t expect it to work but it did! Specifically I installed the driver for the gpu from October (I think?) 2020. I retried furmark which previously caused crashes, this time no crashes occurred, I attempted (vanilla) Minecraft, modded Minecraft and vr and no crashes occurred (previously these caused crashes). I can’t be fully sure as it’d only been a few days but it seems to of fixed it. Reverting to the drivers from 2020 also seem to have no impact on performance.

Basically to anyone having this issue I guess that could be worth a try? if you want to try this fix make sure you get the drivers from HP’s official website!

HP Recommended

@StarTreker,

Thank you very much for your update! -And thank you for taking the time to follow up!

This is very useful information -especially for those with the same or related graphics card crashing issues, and I would recommend that you mark your response as the "accepted solution", as it will help others to find this solution easier.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.