Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-224

My desktop has recently refused to turn on. The power button does nothing, there are no beeps, there is no fan , nothing turns on. The green LED is on in the back indicating it is receiving power but it does not turn on. I was wondering if the power button could have a loose connection. Maybe even the motherboard may be fried, as it was on an unprotected outlet during a power surge. It continued working after this surge though. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. . 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HEllo @Loghain98 

There could be many things but usually its power supply. But I'm not gonna say definitely.

Make sure you're not plugged into a power strip first.

The power switch could be faulty or have loose wires, yes. It can be bypassed on the motherboard with a screwdriver if you are really careful, but I wont suggest that if you don't know what you're doing.

There are lots of tutorials explaining the troubleshooting steps to follow when your PC doesn't turn on.

You could also...

Unplug the power cord. Hold the power button down for 20 seconds. Try restarting.

Replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Sometimes its just as simple as that.

Re-seat all the power connections from the power supply. Re-seat the memory.

IF no joy, do you have another PSU to test with?

Its a process of elimination and will take patients.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.