Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 550-252na Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am getting a new psu to be able to suffice for the graphics card. The reason I want to upgrade the pc is because i am getting a monitor called MSI Optix MAG241C and I would like to be able to run games such as csgo around 200 fps. Therefore, I am asking the community on HP whether this pre-built pc motherboard which is an odense motherboard with a 1 PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) will be able to be compatible for the AMD RX580 Sapphire.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Alex176 , welcome to the forum.

The video card should be compatible with the motherboard.  There are two main things to consider when upgrading to a dedicated video card: 1) the length of the card and 2) the wattage it requires to run properly.

You can determine if the card will fit into the space provided by measuring from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  This will tell you if there is enough space for good airflow.  Good airflow is necessary with the newer high power cards.  The power supply unit (PSU) in the computer is only 180W.  The RX 580 requires a minimum of 500W, 1x8-pin and 1x6-pin auxillary power connectors, to operate properly.  Therefore, the PSU will have to be upgraded, also. I normally recommend 100W to 150W more than the card requires.  This will assure the PSU is not running at full speed continuously and allow for peak power needs.  I like Corsair products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Alex176 , welcome to the forum.

The video card should be compatible with the motherboard.  There are two main things to consider when upgrading to a dedicated video card: 1) the length of the card and 2) the wattage it requires to run properly.

You can determine if the card will fit into the space provided by measuring from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  This will tell you if there is enough space for good airflow.  Good airflow is necessary with the newer high power cards.  The power supply unit (PSU) in the computer is only 180W.  The RX 580 requires a minimum of 500W, 1x8-pin and 1x6-pin auxillary power connectors, to operate properly.  Therefore, the PSU will have to be upgraded, also. I normally recommend 100W to 150W more than the card requires.  This will assure the PSU is not running at full speed continuously and allow for peak power needs.  I like Corsair products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.