Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP RTX-2070
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Firstly, I'm in the UK.  I'm currently upgrading my custom PC.  The guy I buy my components told me about some graphics cards he has, says he can do me a good deal.  It's an HP RTX-2070. I didn't think it at all unusual, until I tried to find one on the internet, and couldn't!!  So I went to him, and asked to see it.  He reached me the sealed bag (I didnt see a box), and I brought out this RTX 2070 gpu; it is quite heavy with a solid metal backing plate, and what appears to be copper heat sinks inside.  A single fan adorns the otherwise very plain plastic casing. 

I asked where he got it, and he said he bumped into a guy who works for HP in Singapore, and he got them from him (Seems he got a few from him).  Now it may well be totally legit, but what concerns me is the fact that I can't find this card anywhere on the internet.  I can find a RTX-2080, and it looks very similar, but not a RTX-2070. 

I'm just a little concerned for that reason.  I don't want to buy a pig in a poke.  I've never had any issue with the guy I get my stuff from, and it probably is 100%, but I do have this nagging doubt in my head. If anyone knows anything about this product, please let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@NIGamer 

I'm not sure I quite understand. This "guy" you know sounds like the proverbial guy in an overcoat selling Rolex's on a street corner.

HP does sell the HP designed RTX 2070 in the HP Store but it is incredibly pricey and not worth the cost.

I know that if an employee is walking out with HP parts from work and selling them on the sly, they would be fired immediately. This card he has is probably a real card from HP, but how it was gotten via his story sounds mighty shady.

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@NIGamer 

Interesting, this is the first time I read this news: HP does make video cards for PC's. I only know

https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2070/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@NIGamer 

I'm not sure I quite understand. This "guy" you know sounds like the proverbial guy in an overcoat selling Rolex's on a street corner.

HP does sell the HP designed RTX 2070 in the HP Store but it is incredibly pricey and not worth the cost.

I know that if an employee is walking out with HP parts from work and selling them on the sly, they would be fired immediately. This card he has is probably a real card from HP, but how it was gotten via his story sounds mighty shady.

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

@Photoray002. Sorry, it's just a colloquialism. 'This guy' owns an established shop.

I don't really know the in's and out's of how / when he met this third party from whom he got these gpu's, but I have held the card in my hands, and it is marked HP just above the motherboard terminal.  It looks legitimate, but as I said, I just couldn't find anything like it on the internet; no images; none for sale etc.  It's priced around £380 ($475), so the price seems similar to other brands.

Your image, by the way, shows a 2070 Super, not a 2070, but I did a search using the same tool (the UK site found nothing, but I did find it on the US site) .  I take your point, though, and can see for myself the hefty price tag on these units.  It makes me wonder about the authenticity of his story, the cards, where and how he got them etc.

Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated. I've cancelled the order, and will order my own graphics card through a trusted website.

HP Recommended

If you would have posted the full model number of your omen, it would have made it easier to find the exact part number. 😉The full length non OC'd card runs higher than the Super I mentioned. HP. Here ya go...

Capture2.JPG

Yes, you can absolutely go with any brand you wish outside of HP for a graphics card. Brands these days wont be that critical like it was in the old days.

Just a thought... if your system came with a blower style card that exhausts out the back, I might look for another one that uses that same blower system. An open air cooler will only blow hot air into the case and those cases (Obelisk I assume?) don't have as much airflow of a good custom case. Might not be critical, just something to keep in mind.

HP Recommended

"If you would have posted the full model number of your omen" - Like I said, I have a custom PC, not an Omen. 😉

But thanks again for your help anyhow.

HP Recommended

Not to beat a dead horse here, but Omens come in a custom configuration also. Since we only do support for HP systems here, hence why the confusion.

Sorry about that. Good luck and hope it works out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.