Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 45L Gaming Desktop PC IDS Base Models (ArticunoI)
Microsoft Windows 11

I would like to know the step by step process to activate intel i9-12900k quick sync feature in BIOS.   This should have been enabled from HP when building a top spec offering from them.   We do Davinci Resolve 2.7k /60f video edit H.265  and this PC crawls.   We cannot play a 1080 HD video with render cache smoothly. Just when we get things working half way.  Windows, intel, NVIDIA drops an update and we have to start over trying to find the solution.  Been struggling like this since 2022.  Hoping the quick sync feature can help.  Thank you

OMEN by HP 45L Gaming Desktop PC

Primary Specs

OMEN Z690 

Operating system Windows 11 Pro

HP 8917 Micro ATX Z690

Processor Intel® Core™ i9- 12900K W/Liquid Cooler (3.2 GHz up to 5.2 GHz, 30 MB L3 cache, 16 cores, 24 threads)

Memory HyperX 64 GB DDR4-3733 MHz XMP RGB Heatsink RAM (4 x 16 GB)

Graphics card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3090 (24 GB GDDR6X dedicated)

SSD Drive C - 2 TB WD Black PCIe® 4x4 NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD

Jon
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @jonemiles63,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Activating Intel Quick Sync on your OMEN by HP 45L Gaming Desktop PC with an Intel i9-12900K can indeed help improve your video editing performance in DaVinci Resolve, especially with H.265 encoding. Here is a step-by-step guide to enable Quick Sync in the BIOS.

Power Off and Restart: Begin by shutting down your computer completely. Once it's off, power it back on and immediately start pressing the BIOS access key. This is usually the F10, F2, Del, or Esc key, but it can vary based on the manufacturer. For HP systems, it's commonly F10.

Enter BIOS Setup: Once you see the BIOS screen, navigate to the Advanced tab. This is where you can find most of the CPU and integrated graphics settings.

Enable Integrated Graphics:

• Look for a setting named "Integrated Graphics" or "IGPU".
  • Set this to "Enabled". It may be set to "Disabled" or "Auto" by default, especially if you have a dedicated GPU installed.
  • If there is an option for "IGD Multi-Monitor", you may also want to enable this. This allows both your dedicated GPU and integrated graphics to be active simultaneously.

Check for Quick Sync Support: While most settings related to Quick Sync are enabled by turning on the integrated graphics, ensure that there are no specific mentions of Quick Sync in the BIOS. Some BIOS versions might have specific toggles for media features.

Save and Exit: After making these changes, save your settings and exit the BIOS. Your computer will reboot.

Install Latest Drivers:

• Intel Integrated Graphics Driver: After booting into Windows, ensure you have the latest Intel integrated graphics drivers installed. You can download these from the Intel website or use the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.
  • NVIDIA Graphics Driver: Make sure your NVIDIA drivers are up to date as well. You can get the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website or use the GeForce Experience application.

Configure DaVinci Resolve:

• Open DaVinci Resolve and go to Preferences.
  • Under System, go to Decode Options.
  • Ensure that "Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration" is checked. Select "Intel Quick Sync" if the option is available.
  • Save and restart DaVinci Resolve.

Test Performance: Load your project in DaVinci Resolve and see if there is an improvement in playback and rendering performance. You should notice smoother playback and faster rendering times when working with H.265 content.

By enabling the integrated graphics, you allow the CPU's built-in GPU to handle tasks like Quick Sync video encoding, potentially freeing up resources on your dedicated NVIDIA GPU for other tasks. This can lead to a more balanced and efficient use of your system's hardware capabilities, improving overall performance for video editing tasks.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Alden4, 

My Micro ATX Z690 doesn't appear to support a lot of things I need.   

This PC cannot playback H.265 video smoothly.  I sent the same H.265 file to another Davinci Resolve user and his old i5 with RTX3060 played it back at 2X smoothly.  He said, there is something wrong with your machine.  I replied,  I've never done video editing before so didn't have a performance base line.  Now I know this PC has been defective since new because Davinci Resolve was the #1 reason for buying it. 

2 yrs. of long 12 hr rendering because HP sold a defective PC

Who would have thought a feature 5 yrs. old wouldn't have been part of the top spec 45L ?  Spec the top available hardware in 2022,  have learned it wasn't enough. 

Intel Quick Sync Video, a hardware core for video encoding and decoding, was introduced with the Sandy Bridge CPU microarchitecture on January 9, 2011. It has been included in Intel CPUs ever since. The 8th generation Intel Core i5-8250U processor, released in Q3 2017, also includes Intel Quick Sync Video. 

I followed your step by step instructions.  (Thank you)  unfortunately,  those settings are not in my BIOS. 

I desperately need a replacement motherboard for this 45L case with cayo chanmber,  that offers Quick Sync for the i9-12900K that OMEN by HP built.  

OMEN Z690 45L Gaming Desktop PC

Operating system Windows 11 Pro

HP 8917 Micro ATX Z690

Processor Intel® Core™ i9- 12900K W/Liquid Cooler (3.2 GHz up to 5.2 GHz, 30 MB L3 cache, 16 cores, 24 threads)

Memory HyperX 64 GB DDR4-3733 MHz XMP RGB Heatsink RAM (4 x 16 GB)

Graphics card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3090 (24 GB GDDR6X dedicated)

SSD Drive C - 2 TB WD Black PCIe® 4x4 NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD

Thank you, 

Jon

Jon
HP Recommended

Hi @jonemiles63,

Thank you for your response, 

I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.