Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I just bought some ram (Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4) for my hp pavilion and was excited to replace the kit only to find that the speed has been kneecapped by hp's bios, being stuck at  2133MHz. I know that my computer can run ram at 3200MHz because the kit hp put in runs at 3200MHz! I thought I could find a work around through Intel's extreme tuning utility but was unable to change the ram speed due to my cpu not being k or x series. If anyone has another work around please let me know (Intel system). Either way  this is totally unexpectable. At the time of purchasing the computer, it would have cost $100 to upgrade the ram to 16 GB, double the price of the ram I purchased from Corsair or just about any other reputable seller. This isn't about "genuine parts" it's about nickeling and diming you at the time you purchase your system. This an incredible simple upgrade as well, being one of the most common and most simple upgrades you can make to your computer. This is totally ridiculous, to lock the bios such that you can't enable xmp only serves to hinder the user as xmp profiles are determined by manufacturer and won't hurt you system in the slightest! Again, if anyone has a solution please let me know.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SeanBasi15,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Let's start with you providing your specific HP Pavilion model.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

It is the "HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx" (the kind with the green led in the front bezel).

HP Recommended

@SeanBasi15,

Let's narrow this down one more level, please: you either have the HP Stark motherboard with SSID: 8860 (11th gen i5 or i7 Intel processor), or the HP Erica6 motherboard with SSID: 8906 (AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 processor).

Type in system information in your Windows search bar, and left-click on the System Information App.

You should see something like this (using my own PC as an example):

NonSequitur777_0-1669428949378.png

What number is listed to the right of "BaseBoard Product"?

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Its the Stark board (8860) (i5-11400 btw)

HP Recommended

@SeanBasi15,

All right -took me a moment to research this.

Your HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx fitted with a Stark motherboard HP 8860, according to: https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c07119829, was supposed to have a max RAM speed of 2933 MHz. However, as Intel's specs for your processor indicates here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/212270/intel-core-i511400-processor-12m-cache-u..., an i5-11400 max supported RAM speed is 3200 MHz RAM.

And sure enough, when we look at actual HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx User benchmarks (with SSID: 8860 motherboards) here: UserBenchmark: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx Compatible Components, you can see various RAM running not at 2933 MHz, but at 3200 MHz.

HP evidently did not reduce the Stark's motherboard allowed RAM speed. 

This is the good news.

The not-so-good news is that HP computers are known to be finnicky when it comes to RAM and especially achieving max RAM speed.  Trust me, I had an identical issue like you with G.SKILL gaming RAM.

Anyway, the RAM that I identified that will actually run and perform well at 3200 MHz on your desktop include (mind you, not an exhaustive listing):

Samsung M378A2K43EB1-CWE 2x16GB
Samsung M378A2G43AB3-CWE 2x16GB

Crucial CT16G4DFD832A.M16FR 2x16GB

Crucial Ballistix BL16G32C16U4B.16FE 2x16GB

(Recommending the aforementioned Samsung or Crucial RAM)

Hynix HMAA2GU6CJR8N-XN 2x16GB
Micron 8ATF2G64AZ-3G2E1 2x16GB
Samsung M378A1K43EB2-CWE 2x8GB
Hynix HMA81GU6DJR8N-XN 2x8GB
Micron 8ATF1G64AZ-3G2J1 2x8GB

Summarizing and to cut to the chase: I hope you can return your Corsair Vengeance RAM, because -at least in my admittedly anecdotal experiences, chances are that no matter what you try, your RAM will be stuck at 2133 MHz...

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.