Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk 875-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am at my wits end with my Omen  Obelisk. I have the

inte i7 8700

RTX 2080 GPU 

256 Toshiba m.2 SSD

2TB HDD

I am having some serious GPU issues, whenever I boot into windows my GPU randomly black screens and freezes. It happens at completely random times and sometimes I can't even get past the windows login screen.

If I remove the Nvidia drivers and just run on the Windows 10 generic drivers it seems to be stable, but obviously you can't do much with the generic windows display driver.

Whenever an Nvidia driver is installed it immediately becomes insanely unstable and will randomly give me black or white or yellow screens. 

Sometimes I can unplug my display port and plug it back in and the GPU seems to reset itself for a moment or two until it freezes again. 

Other times it hard locks and will not respond/reset unless I force shut down my system and boot back in.

I have tried multiple different monitors and different models of monitors, I have tried different display ports and HDMI cords hoping that may be the issue.

I can boot into safe mode and the GPU seems stable but as soon as I'm in windows 10 with an Nvidia driver installed it crashes non stop.

I was convinced it was a driver problem so I did a fresh install of windows 10 and wiped all data and started fresh out of frustration and that solved absolutely nothing. As soon as the Nvidia driver was installed it did the same thing, I have tried multiple versions of Nvidia drivers.

Eventually I tested the card on my friends system which is an 

i7 9700k

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390 motherboard

Corsair RM850x 850 PSU

32GB Corsair RAM 3200mhz

The card did the same exact thing on that system so I am pretty sure it is a hardware issue. 

I bought the system in January 2020 but it has literally sat on my girlfriends desk for the last 7 or so months because I have been on the road working and it had just sat mostly unused, I would login every few weeks to update windows and games but that's about it. The card definitely has less then 100 hours of actual game time and very little use all together. I only started using it again 3 weeks ago because I shattered my leg and have been home recovering and it worked fine for a few weeks until this started happening. The system is unusable with the card.

I am convinced it is a hardware issue, has anyone else experience anything similar with their RTX 2080 cards????

I am at my wits end and any help would be appreciated!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that if the RTX 2080 is replaced with an old EVGA GTX 1050, the system boots and runs without crashing. I've narrowed it down to the GPU I believe but I have no clue what's wrong with it. It doesn't get hot, and the fan runs great and isn't even dirty whatsoever.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It would appear you have successfully diagnosed bad hardware (the RTX 2080).

You may have to replace the card.

The one confounding issue is the card works okay when running Windows generic drivers

But the issue happens when installing the card in a different PC. Sounds like the graphics card is failing.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

It would appear you have successfully diagnosed bad hardware (the RTX 2080).

You may have to replace the card.

The one confounding issue is the card works okay when running Windows generic drivers

But the issue happens when installing the card in a different PC. Sounds like the graphics card is failing.

Regards

HP Recommended

Looks like failing GPU due to overheating, considering that is inside an Obelisk, I am not surprised at all, luckily you are still in warranty. 

HP Recommended

Yes, so the day after I posted this I contacted Omen support at HP. I spoke to Donald and he literally spent 2 hours on the phone with me remote accessing into my rig on safe mode scrolling through event viewer with me trying to find any possibility of there being a software/driver problem.

Ultimately we determined it was a hardware issue and he helped RMA my card to have it sent out.

I was blown away by how the technician went above and beyond to find the best possible solution. The Omen guys at HP provided the best customer service I have ever experienced anywhere.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.