Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Obelisk Desktop 875
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Recently the fan on my Nvidia RTX 2080 card as been running a lot louder than normal after running with no problems for a year. It's like HP (or Nvidia) programmed it to do this a month after the warranty period ended!

Using monitoring software I can see that my GPU load isn't that high but the relative temp and fan speed are high:

The normal temp when not gaming is under 40°C and the fan speed is about 1500 rpm

At GPU of 40% the GPU temp shoots up to 69°C  but the RPMs stay under 2000

At sustained GPU load of 50-70% (actual gameplay) the core goes up to 80°C and the fan RPM hits 5300 (until the temp drops to high 70s but then blasts away again every 30 seconds or so as the temp creeps back up)

I'm not sure what could have caused this change. The case is clean and not dusty so it doesn't seem to be an airflow issue. No new games or major updates to games. No recent driver updates (I also rolled back to 452.06 to be sure). Maybe the thermal paste HP used in the card is low quality and not working as well as it used to but I'm not taking my PC apart to change that!

Using software to change the fan speeds does not help, eventually the GPU will get up to 82-83°C and that's too close to the operating max for me. A GPU load of 52% shouldn't cause the temp to hit 80°C with default fan settings.

CPU temps are fine and although there doesn't seem to be a chassis temp sensor, the issue seems to be with the graphics card.

Are there any other steps I can take to diagnose (or hopefully fix) the problem?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry to hear this and sorry to say this happens.

The Nvidia graphics card installed in your PC is warrantied by HP for one year.

Buy a new card if you can't deal with this issue. Most graphics card manufacturers ( Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA) offer a three year warranty.

I just got a replacement 2080 graphics card (the original was two years old) from Asus having a similar issue to yours.

Or replace the faulty component if you can do this.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.