JMichna
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Replacement video card?

HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0067c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have an HP pavilion 690-0067c gaming desktop and the graphics card is failing; GPU cooling fan bearing noise and intermittent fan stops, video card overheats and screen goes to black.  As far as I can determine, the OE graphics card is an AMD Radeon RX550 4GB, 50W max power consumption, sitting in a PCIe x16 slot.

What replacement cards are suitable, with no other upgrades, e.g., no PS upgrading?  A direct replacement for the original card would be acceptable, as well as any, better alternatives.

3 REPLIES 3
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,666 12,442 1,307 4,294
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @JMichna 

You could upgrade above the RX 550 without upgrading the power supply.

I would look at the GTX 1650 which is rated at 75W but will still work with your 310w PSU without any additional power connectors (some 1650's might require a 6 pin connector. You need to read the specs of the individual card before purchase).

Example: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1650-gv-n1650ixoc-4gd/p/N82E16814932151?Description=gtx%...

I would uninstall the AMD Graphics driver first, then remove the 550 and install the Nvidia card and driver.

Use a tool like Guru3D Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the AMD driver completely.

JMichna
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll check out your suggestion... thanks!

0 Kudos
livitupx3kj
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Photoray002 wrote:

Hello @MyGroundBiz Website

You could upgrade above the RX 550 without upgrading the power supply.

I would look at the GTX 1650 which is rated at 75W but will still work with your 310w PSU without any additional power connectors (some 1650's might require a 6 pin connector. You need to read the specs of the individual card before purchase).

Example: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1650-gv-n1650ixoc-4gd/p/N82E16814932151?Description=gtx%...

I would uninstall the AMD Graphics driver first, then remove the 550 and install the Nvidia card and driver.

Use a tool like Guru3D Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the AMD driver completely.

This is great advice! Very honest and practical.I really enjoyed this post.Nice post!!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation