Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have something positive to add this afternoon as this morning I've been combing the ent searching for any way to get this USB issues corrected. The problem is, WIN10 doesn't recognize any mobile device I plug into any USB port located on my computer. Searching each manufactures site for a drivers, I contacted Samsung in order to find out why their driver download doesn't work on our system.

Later I learn in order to get the Samsung driver to work, it would be best to actually have the device (tablet) plugged into the computer while updating the driver. This way it actually makes contact or a connection with the devices etc. In doing that step, I now have Samsung drivers via USB for my tablet. Then followed up with new drivers for my LG smart phone. Last part of the puzzle has yet to fall into place as the FujiFilm camera is still not recognized on our system. I've since contacted FujiFilm and an attempt to locate the correct driver needed to make this connection.

Once this happens, all devices in our home for both computer can now be connected. Almost 4 weeks of trying to figure out why this wasn't working, yet I'm still left without the latest WIN10 1803 update and updated video drivers..

HP Recommended

UPDATE

After near one month since purchasing this computer & with a number of failed attempts at updating the video drivers, sound drivers as well as the dreaded WIN10 1803. I was able to finally successfully update my video & sound drivers without the support of AMD or HP. Although I had been in contact with an AMD tech rep, he didn't offer me a plausible solution or excuse to my issue or their issue as the case maybe.

It seems the issue wasn't how I was attempting to update the drivers using the AMD's catalyst. Attempt after failed attempt I simply gave up. Until just moments ago. I entered the device manager, located the video card and clicked "update driver" selecting "have Disk" i located the AMD driver fold within their catalyst settings. BAM I now have updated drivers. I can't say the same for WIN10 1803..

Yeah me!.. *Pats Self on Back*

BTW: All smart devices, Tablets and even my camera have now been connected via USB successfully, Again thanks for my diligences in solving problems.

HP Recommended

The ever continuing battles of an HP computer user.

Welp just when one thinks everything is all right or adjusted to suits one computer style, my system up and shuts down without warning and goes into recovery mode.. For more than 5 hours the system was in recovery mode for lord whatever reason. Does this make me want to take the system back? Sure it does, but I've researched a point where, I must continue to endure what ever this issue is with my gaming system.

I mean the games run great updated video and sound drivers and removed a number of bloatware items and apps that aren't going to be used or that would continue to run in the back ground. Hell I even turned off the HP lighting bar controls and more hidden junk that's not needed. So the point here is If one is allowed to turn off programs, would or could this send my system into recovery mode. Good question but not worth exploring.

Lastly, I found out why the system went into recover mode. It seems I left the back door open to a windows 10 update and as one would expect, it tried to update to the 1803 version. this makes 16 times my system failed to install the win10 1803. I've since downloaded the "wushowhide" which I can activate at any time if I've detected a forced update. No matter what I've shut down or turned off, am I still getting forced updates even though I've turned everything off.

Sure I run a check once in a while just to make sure if there's anything I can install manually. Take the video driver.. both HP assiant & AMD catalyst totally missed updating my drivers, yet, exploring the device manager, I'm able to "manually" update any driver assuming I have the latest driver located within my downloads folder.

Moral of this story, nothing is easy and always be prepared for anything at any given point in time. Your system can just shut down without any hopes of being able to restart or revert back to a restore point. Now I've been saving my restore points since day one, but each time my system either resets or recovers all restore points are lsot.. so whats the point if I"m forced to endure a black screen and cant revert to a restore point..

HP Recommended

Nothing to report, other than I've had this idea this morning which deals with my old 500 281 computer. Since it was updated to the 1803 ver, I thought "what if" i created a system image (ISO) of that computer and used it as a back up for this computer. Following the Creation media tool I was able to create a system image of my old 500 281. But will this work for the 690.. I'm hesitant in doing anything right now as I don't want to waste another 5 - 6 hours reinstalling everything..

HP Recommended

Follow Up:

So I went ahead and created the ISO off the 500-281 computer, but I had a concern as to what verison this ISO is. Using this site:

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-see-which-build-and-edition-of-windows-10-the-iso-file-contains/

I was able to access the USB flash containing the "install.esd" file. From there I used this site:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

to locate where the USB flash verions falls.. According to the winwiki, this is deffantly a 1803 ISO copy. (10.0.17134) 

So I may opt to shut everything down this weekend and hope for the best while rebooting from the new ISO flash disk.

HP Recommended

I'm guessing this will be my last update to this post as I've just found the cure to the dreaded 1803 failed to install on my computer. What saved my installation of this update?. My old 500-281 computer. Seems that when I was able to get it working a few weeks back, Using the ISO image of the current version of WIN10 which at that time was somewhere after the 1803 version.

Following my trick above, using the USB flash, I was able to make a system image of my old 500-281 and simply use the flash on the new 690 computer. All of this took about 45 ins. The good thing about this, because my system is new, I didn't have any data saved on the current system, thus using a flash drive was quick, easy and less of a head ache then having to try and install win10 1803 and only getting a failed message.

All drivers have been updated using off site services and a few recommended HP drivers off their HP assistant. So I realize not everyone is going to have the same success I just did, as my only suggestion to those whom have similar issues, ask for a system disk of the current version of win10 as this is all one needs to get back on the right track.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.