Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0280z CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System Board: 87C3 00
Bios: F.20
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
I want to upgrade my SSD and add an HHD I currently have a WDC WD BLACK SDBPNTY-256G-1106 (SSD) and a TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB
and I want to ensure that the upgrades I'm getting are compatible. For the SSD I was looking at: 
TEAMGROUP T-FORCE CARDEA ZERO Z330 2TB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 I'm pretty sure gen 3 is compatible if I'm not mistaken I have a Moria3 motherboard (which is the only one I found with "87C3" SSID) that does support Gen 3 now as for the HHD I'm adding its the TOSHIBA x300 4TB that one should work I'm more worried about the SSD and I also wanted to know if there are any steps that are required in the BIOS after adding the SSD and HHD? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The z330 is a gen3 and is spec'ed here.  You can compare the 330 and the 340 by clicking on the images

https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/filter/result/?index_m1_id=3&index_m2_id=13

You might write to them and ask if your system is compatible.

Looking at several sites for info, I was unable to find if the sector size was 512 bytes or 4k bytes

Your WD SDBPNTY is model SN730 and has 512 bytes per sector.

You may have difficulty cloning your OS from the WD 256 to the Z330 if the sector sizes are different.  Maybe the Omen 30l will have no problem with that unlike some other HP systems.

My opinion, worth about 0.02c is to compare the 1 star reviews of the teamgroup and one of the bigger manufacturers such as samsung and be sure that you can get a refund if it does not work.

the z330 has 971 ratings and the samsung 970 has over 40,000 and comes with firmware upgrade and cloning software

My recommendation is to get the largest size of the same type of m.2 your system currently has.  That would be the SN750 which is 1TB and has the same sector size of 512bytes

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The z330 is a gen3 and is spec'ed here.  You can compare the 330 and the 340 by clicking on the images

https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/filter/result/?index_m1_id=3&index_m2_id=13

You might write to them and ask if your system is compatible.

Looking at several sites for info, I was unable to find if the sector size was 512 bytes or 4k bytes

Your WD SDBPNTY is model SN730 and has 512 bytes per sector.

You may have difficulty cloning your OS from the WD 256 to the Z330 if the sector sizes are different.  Maybe the Omen 30l will have no problem with that unlike some other HP systems.

My opinion, worth about 0.02c is to compare the 1 star reviews of the teamgroup and one of the bigger manufacturers such as samsung and be sure that you can get a refund if it does not work.

the z330 has 971 ratings and the samsung 970 has over 40,000 and comes with firmware upgrade and cloning software

My recommendation is to get the largest size of the same type of m.2 your system currently has.  That would be the SN750 which is 1TB and has the same sector size of 512bytes

HP Recommended

Thank you very much I'll do just that and get myself the SN750 and later on, I was thinking of adding a SATA SSD which should be plug n play or is there some compatibility stuff for them as well?

HP Recommended

This is what I used to clone my 256gb m.2 into a 1TB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THVRS99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put my WD blue 1tb M.2 into that adapter and then ran Acronis True Image Clone tool and cloned my Windows 11  C drive to it.  i then ;put the 1TB into the motherboard where the 256 "C" was.

I did not have any problem with TPM, secure or legacy boot and system booted up perfectly, much faster and with plenty of space.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=502&%3Blang=en

I kept the old 256 for a while to ensure the new chip did not fail and then I started using it in that same adapter like a flash drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.