Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Evening all,

I have recently purchased a new gaming case for my components. Fantastic looking Antec Dark Avenger. It comes with 2x USB3 ports on the front I/O plus the usual ports. The problem is, when the USB3 plug is connected to the mobo it doesnt work?

Its definitely in the correct socket on the mobo. I double checked it using the old cable from my original case and that works fine so I thought it was a faulty cable on the new case. I contacted the supplier who told me they didnt make spares anymore. Rather than sending the case back for an exchange I purchased a rear pci USB3 cable which would plug into the same USB3 port on the mobo but guess what this didnt work either?

Everthing works fine with the original cable from my old case but not these new ones? Am I missing something?

For now im going to retro fit my old cable into the new case so I can make use of the 2 USB ports but ideally I would like to be able to use the front I/O ports.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Since neither the front USB cable nor the rear USB cable powers the USB 3.0 ports when connected to the MB I can only guess HP is using different pin assignments on the MB USB 3.0 header.

The only work around I can think of is to get a USB 3.0 PCIe card that provides rear USB 3.0 and internal connections for the front USB 3.0 cable.

Connect the card to an open PCIe slot on the MB. You will probably will need a minimum  PCIe x4 slot to power and move data to all USB ports. Check with the PCIe to USB 3.0 adapter card manufacturer to verify what is required.

Connect the front USB 3.0 cable to the PCIe add in card internal connector for front USB.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Ive looked at adding a pci card but my gpu is very fat so I think the gpu fans may hit the add in card, may get a pci cable so I can add the card into a lower expansion expansion slot on the rear.

I still dont understand how HP or why HP would make their usb3 socket different to everyone elses. What I may do is permanently fix the old I/O inside my case and pass the external cables through one of the expansion slots.

Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.