Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 550-109np
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello i have a question about upgrade. I have a HP Pavilion Desktop 550-109np and i want to know if its possible to upgrade gpu without needing to upgrade anything else. Exemple: Put a gtx 1060 in the pc without having compatibility issues. Is it Possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MeiHou

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 550-109 Desktop PC and would like to know if it is possible to upgrade the GPU without needing to upgrade anything on the PC.

I did some research on this and found the hardware specifications of the PC. Click here to view the motherboard specifications. 

• I checked the product specifications for the GTX 1060 graphics card and it should fit into the PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) slot of the motherboard. But it has a recommended power supply requirement of 400 Watts. Whereas your HP PC has 180 watts power supply. So the power will not be enough for the GPU to work and thus you will need to upgrade the power supply. 
  • Click here to view the hardware specifications of the PC.

Whichever GPU you might want to install, first, please check if is a PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) compatible or not and also check the power supply requirement of the graphics card. 

I hope this answers your question. Keep me posted for any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MeiHou

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 550-109 Desktop PC and would like to know if it is possible to upgrade the GPU without needing to upgrade anything on the PC.

I did some research on this and found the hardware specifications of the PC. Click here to view the motherboard specifications. 

• I checked the product specifications for the GTX 1060 graphics card and it should fit into the PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) slot of the motherboard. But it has a recommended power supply requirement of 400 Watts. Whereas your HP PC has 180 watts power supply. So the power will not be enough for the GPU to work and thus you will need to upgrade the power supply. 
  • Click here to view the hardware specifications of the PC.

Whichever GPU you might want to install, first, please check if is a PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) compatible or not and also check the power supply requirement of the graphics card. 

I hope this answers your question. Keep me posted for any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

i forgot about the psu watts power. Thanks for the help, you really helped me a lot. Have a nice day  🙂

HP Recommended

@MeiHou

You're welcome. 🙂

I'm glad to know that you found the information useful. Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.