Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-190nz
Microsoft Windows 11

Dear Community

I'd like to upgrade my HP OMEN 880-190nz Gaming Desktop with the following things:

1) GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Super WIndforce OC 12 GB

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-4070-super-windforce-oc-12-gb-grafikkarte-... or

Sapphire Raedonn RX 7900 GRE Gaming OC 16 GB 

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/sapphire-radeon-rx-7900-gre-gaming-oc-16-gb-grafikkarte-4140064...

Which one of those GPU's is better?

2) NVEM SSD: Kingston KC3000

(https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/kingston-kc3000-4096-gb-m2-2280-ssd-17274159) -

QESTIONS:

1).Are this upgrades possible with my Gaming PC?

2) Is it possible to upgrade the CPU to an Intel Core i9 9900K

(https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/intel-core-i9-9900k-lga-1151-360-ghz-8-core-prozessor-9598353)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Zakkar,

The RAM you referred to is "ECC" RAM, which means it is server RAM, while your desktop only accepts "Non-ECC" (desktop) RAM.  I didn't see any product number either to confirm this.

Yes, this PSU has the correct wattage and dual PCIe ("VGA") power ports.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Zakkar,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

Your OMEN by HP 880-190nz Desktop PC (3QW62EA) as fitted with a Tampa2 motherboard (SSID: 8437) and the Intel Z370 chipset, is a beautiful and highly upgradeable gaming platform!

As you can see, I share the enthusiast excitement upgrading legacy desktops like yours.

1.) I would strongly recommend Nvidia GPUs in general.  I would recommend a smaller-sized (two fan) RTX 4070 Super model, such as this example: ASUS DUAL RTX 4070 SUPER OC Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database or this example: ASUS DUAL RTX 4070 SUPER EVO OC Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database. Of course when you do this, you'll need to make sure that you got at least a 650-watt ATX power supply equipped with dual 8-pin PCIe power rails (not splitted 8-pin PCIe power cables originating from the same power cord).

2.) That Kingston Gen4x4 M.2 NVMe SSD is top notch -you can't go wrong with it.  Be advised that this M.2 drive will perform with Gen3x4 I/O speeds, though. [EDIT:] Possibly Gen3x8 I/O speeds!

3.) These upgrades are absolutely possible!

4.) Oh yes, here is an Omen (Tampa motherboard) i9-9900K User example: HP OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx Performance Results - UserBenchmark.

Please note that it would be most beneficial for your gaming platform to improve the internal air flow by adding one or more cooling fans.  Also, when fitting a 95-watt processor, you want to look into upgrading your CPU heatsink. If you need suggestions concerning these upgrades, let me know.

Hope this was helpful!

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank You 4 Ur quick reply.

the PSU which is in this PC isn‘t enough for your recommended GPU‘s? If not can u recommend me a PSU? And which of those 2 GPU‘s is better? They have nearly the same Price. 
I already own a CPU fan.

with the i9 what Type of RAM is possible? DDR5 or DDR4? And Maximum Hz?

thanks in advance 

Kind Regards 

P.S.: On the top of the case u can Open it on the Front and pull out two cases…what is that for?

HP Recommended

@Zakkar,

I will respond in more detail in the morning -for example, your stock 500-watt power supply needs to be upgraded.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

I appreciatet your help and support.

I will upgrade memory to: 

4 x 8 GB (64 GB)

Kingston FURY Impact

4 x 8GB, 2666 MHz, DDR4-RAM, SO-DIMM

My questions now are following:

1) What PSU can you recommemd (it must be available in Switzerland)

2) Which one of the two GPU you posted is the better one? (because the price difference of Both GPU is about USD 20.-)

3) On the top Front of the case you can pull out two like slots….what are they for?

IMG_1293.jpeg

Thank You very much Bro.

HP Recommended

@Zakkar,

You're welcome -glad I can assist.

With regards to your power supply upgrade, I would recommend going with a fully modular ATX power supply, since it makes power cable management so much more convenient.  I couldn't get a good online view of your 500-watt power supply (please verify that you got a 500-watt power supply as the specs say it does), because you want to make sure that the new power supply's air intake/exhaust has a place to go, since most modern ATX power supply draw air in from the top and exhaust air through the back.  Reason I mention this is that HP does their own thing, and you want to make sure that when you position your upgraded PSU, it can properly circulate its cooling air.  Hope this makes sense.

1.) Anyway, I would suggest this 650-watt power supply (seen via Amazon-Germany), which has these dimensions: 14 x 15 x 8.6 cm -verify that this would fit physically in your case: Cooler Master MWE Full Modular PC Power Supply, Fully Modular Cable Management: Amazon.de: Computer ....

2.) The Asus Dual RTX 4070 SUPER OC. Even though it is smaller-sized, still verify that it will fit physically in your case: 267 mm x 51 mm x 134 mm (LxWxH).

3.) Let me get back to you regarding this question.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hello again,

would this PSU work?

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/evga-supernova-gt-650-w-pc-netzteil-13751316

can u please Tell me why I can Open the case on the top Front left and right (there Are empty Like metalic boxes)

thanks in Advance

kind Regards 

HP Recommended

@Zakkar,

Power-wise, yes: as long as you got at least a 650-watt power supply with separate "VGA" (Video Graphics Adapter) power ports (preferably called 6+2-pin PCIe power cables) to power an RTX 4070 Super, which is powered by a 16 (12+4)-pin PCIe power cable.  You probably have to use a PCIe power adapter cable which looks something like this:

NonSequitur777_0-1714159223539.png

Again, you should verify the PSU's dimensions for fit inside your desktop, and if the PSU's air intake/exhaust would work in your desktop.

The other question you asked about (your desktop's drive bays) is answered here (time stamp 0:20): OMEN by HP 880-190nz.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hi,

I just asked an online friend who is Chief coder.

he told me that an Intel i9 doesen‘t fit to my motherboard + it is anyway useless to Upgrade the CPU + RAM and he also told me I shall buy a PSU with 1000 Watts….so why you Told me wrong? The only thing that makes Sense is to replace the GPU and the PSU

kind regards

HP Recommended

And I still don‘t know what (See picture) is good for…

IMG_1293.jpeg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.