Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop PC GT13-1000i (1S3R9AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

It's been nearly 2 years since I bought my computer, lately it has started to make more noise, specially with gaming. I did some research, but I don't have a lot of PC knowledge so I'm looking some suggestions from the community.

Should I change my graphic card for a new one ? I have a 3800, would I have a lot of differences in this case ? Or since my SSD is nearly full, I think I can add a second one since there is two spot for that (I think) would it be helpful ? Or should I just change my fans ?

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @AlpLevi 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

An Nvidia 3080 is a fine graphics card. No need to replace this part if video is good and the PC is stable other than loud fans.

Have you been able to isolate which fan(s) are kicking into high gear?

I don't think a nearly full SSD would cause fan speed symptoms but you might want to get a higher capacity SSD down the road or get rid of junk on this drive.

A nearly full system SSD is not good for Windows and drive longevity.

Download and run the FurMark graphics test to stress the 3080. FurMark has a CPU burner test. Then run the CPU test to stress the CPU.

Maybe you can figure out which fans are freaking out by running each FurMark stress test.

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @AlpLevi 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

An Nvidia 3080 is a fine graphics card. No need to replace this part if video is good and the PC is stable other than loud fans.

Have you been able to isolate which fan(s) are kicking into high gear?

I don't think a nearly full SSD would cause fan speed symptoms but you might want to get a higher capacity SSD down the road or get rid of junk on this drive.

A nearly full system SSD is not good for Windows and drive longevity.

Download and run the FurMark graphics test to stress the 3080. FurMark has a CPU burner test. Then run the CPU test to stress the CPU.

Maybe you can figure out which fans are freaking out by running each FurMark stress test.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for the precious informations ! I tried FurMark, I think it's the fan at the back the issue, perhaps I should check to change a fan? I will see as well for a second SSD as you advised.

HP Recommended

Hi @AlpLevi 

My pleasure.

The rear chassis fan should be a 96 mm (3.779528 inch) fan.

Double check to verify the fan size.

Hey, it is actually a good thing if the case fan is running fast.

How were GPU temps and CPU temps when you ran each FurMark test?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello ! Thanks for the info!!  So my GPU is around 77-78C. For the CPU is a little bit weird, while I'm not sure to understand everything, when I first opened the GPU-Z, the CPU was around 96-97C, after that I runned the CPU burner stress and it went down to 59-60C. 

HP Recommended

Hi @AlpLevi 

My pleasure.

GPU temps around 78 C when running FurMark is kind of warm but doable. I think Nvidia cards will thermal throttle at 83 C.

I can't explain the CPU being 97 C at idle. But seeing the CPU temps drop to 60 C when running the CPU burner test is very good.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for all the information given. I will check about the fans before and do some cleaning to avoid thermal throttle. Should I be worried about something else to avoid thermal throttle ?

HP Recommended

Hi @AlpLevi 

My pleasure.

The graphics card looks good at 78 C. 

The CPU did very well (60 C) when running the FurMark CPU Burner.

Replace the rear chassis fan if the noise from this fan is very annoying.

Run Windows "Storage Sense" located in Settings, System, Storage to get rid of temp files and old Windows Update files.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.