cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
A_Beltran
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrading the GPU in the Omen 870-224

HP Recommended
HP Omen Desktop 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to install this graphics card into my system, but I don't know if it works, I would appreciate any help and recommendations of another similarily priced graphics card. Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-06g-p4-1267-kr/p/N82E16814487433?Item=N82E1681448743...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Photoray002
Level 15
12,679 9,523 1,309 2,556
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @A_Beltran 

The biggest obstacle you would have is if the space inside the case wouldn't allow for it. Take a Tape Measure and compare the space inside available to the length of the card (found in its specs - 10.55 in or 26.797 cm).

You should have a 500w psu already, so you meet the power requirements.

If it will fit, then it will work. But note that if you're upgrading from a 1060 to the 1660 ti, its not really worth the money spent. You would be better off spending a little more on an RTX 2060. Just my opinion. Read up on some articles discussing this.

I will also add... Be aware you only have an Intel Core i5-7400, Personally I wouldn't consider going any higher that the 2060. But you will still benefit from that kind of upgrade, depending on what game you play.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
Photoray002
Level 15
12,679 9,523 1,309 2,556
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @A_Beltran 

The biggest obstacle you would have is if the space inside the case wouldn't allow for it. Take a Tape Measure and compare the space inside available to the length of the card (found in its specs - 10.55 in or 26.797 cm).

You should have a 500w psu already, so you meet the power requirements.

If it will fit, then it will work. But note that if you're upgrading from a 1060 to the 1660 ti, its not really worth the money spent. You would be better off spending a little more on an RTX 2060. Just my opinion. Read up on some articles discussing this.

I will also add... Be aware you only have an Intel Core i5-7400, Personally I wouldn't consider going any higher that the 2060. But you will still benefit from that kind of upgrade, depending on what game you play.

View solution in original post

A_Beltran
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know it is not a big upgrade, but the 1060 is a 3gb. Thanks for the help! 

Photoray002
Level 15
12,679 9,523 1,309 2,556
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still not worth the money.  Your probably spending up to $300 "approximately" for the 1660ti 6GB. $50 more and you have the 2060 6GB. 

Its up to you... 😉

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation