Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen desktop 880-068
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Omen 880-068 desktop and I been looking into upgrading the GPU from a Nvidia GT1030 to a Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb or a GTX 1660, also adding another 8gb ram. I looked at the specs of my motherboard and I'm still unsure if my motherboard can handle a newer GPU. I'm still kind of new to the PC world of gaming specs, any kind of help/tips would be great.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @JDR198 

You can upgrade both the ram and graphics card. But to upgrade the graphics, you will also have to upgrade the power supply to what ever the new card will require. And if (for example) it requires a 450w PSU, you might be just as well off price wise to use a 500w instead. Its a good idea to measure the available space inside the case and compare it with the new cards dimensions. But most likely, a GTX 1060 will fit just fine.

To add ram to an existing stick, you first need to run a tool like CPUz so you can match the timings of the new stick to the old one. Otherwise, you might run into problems.

Like this...

mem timings cpuz.JPG

Crucial memory offers a money back guarantee if theirs does not work...

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/omen-880-068#MEMORYFilters

Upgrade manuals...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/model/22506254/ma...

Let me know what else I can help with.

HP Recommended

I need to upgrade my watts for my PC from a 300 to 500 or better but I was wonder if there is anything no should look out for when buying a new power supply for my omen PC and thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Mainly just don't buy a cheap pos, but you probably know that already  😆.   I like to cable manage so I go with a modular type. Low fan noise and high quality capacitors. Stick with a top name brand and you will be golden. Corsair, EVGA, Seagate are good ones.

Example of one that's on sale at the moment I write this.... https://www.amazon.com/d/Computer-Power-Supplies/CORSAIR-RM650x-Certified-Modular-Supply/B079H6111J

Its a 650w but that wont matter, it will be fine if its a little over powered. Its price point cant be beat.

HP Recommended

I have one problem right now is that im unsure that the psu you recommend me on Amazon(Corsair psu) will fit into my omen 880-068. I couldn't find the dimensions online for my current psu that came with the PC and  compare them with the Corsair demensions to insure that it would fit with no problem. I measured the current power supply to the Corsair and I believe the Corsair might be to tall.

HP Recommended

Your case takes an ATX form factor power supply. The Corsair I pointed to is also ATX.

The corsair measurements are 6.3 x 5.9 x 3.4 inches and the mounting screw holes are spaced the same as yours.

The only thing that can change on different ATX PSUs is the length, but your case has enough space to accommodate the extra amount of the 6.3 inch length Corsair.

😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.