Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-03xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I would like to upgrade my graphics card but I'm unsure of what cards are compatible with my motherboard and whether the power unit would also need an upgrade. I'm interested in upgrading to the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 or RTX 2070.

My computer specs are currently as follows:

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-03xx

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

16 GB DDR4 RAM (2x8)

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Could you let me know if either of these cards would work with my current PC? Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rinko  It helps us better is you also post the full Product Number. That way we know exactly what you have.

Its in the HP Support Assistant or press the Ctrl/Alt/S  keys for the info menu.

HP did not make the Pavilion system with the intention of them being upgraded, so its not so easy to find parts to fit.

Those two cards you mentioned have power supply requirements that your system cannot handle if you currently have a 310w PSU. They are also proprietary MicroATX PSUs that only HP sells.

You would need to find the particular manufacturers power recommendations for their cards first. Each one can be different.

Most likely your system could be upgraded to the HP 500w PSU. Part number L05757-800. But I have no idea what HP makes available in your country. Ebay or the like, might be your only way of finding one.

Then you will have to find a mini card as the full size graphics cards will not fit your case, and also take into consideration if your CPU will be powerful enough to handle those cards without bottle-necking them. If you post the product number, we can look up what you have.

Let me know what else I can help with.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

BUMP. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

@Rinko  It helps us better is you also post the full Product Number. That way we know exactly what you have.

Its in the HP Support Assistant or press the Ctrl/Alt/S  keys for the info menu.

HP did not make the Pavilion system with the intention of them being upgraded, so its not so easy to find parts to fit.

Those two cards you mentioned have power supply requirements that your system cannot handle if you currently have a 310w PSU. They are also proprietary MicroATX PSUs that only HP sells.

You would need to find the particular manufacturers power recommendations for their cards first. Each one can be different.

Most likely your system could be upgraded to the HP 500w PSU. Part number L05757-800. But I have no idea what HP makes available in your country. Ebay or the like, might be your only way of finding one.

Then you will have to find a mini card as the full size graphics cards will not fit your case, and also take into consideration if your CPU will be powerful enough to handle those cards without bottle-necking them. If you post the product number, we can look up what you have.

Let me know what else I can help with.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I have, the 310w PSU. I was expecting to have to change the parts but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Let us know what else we can help with. Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.