Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 880-139
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a HP OMEN 880-139, it got 1TB HD and a PCIe NVMe M.2 16GB solid state drive. When I first turn on the computer I saw the PCIe NVMe M.2 16GB appeared as Drive Letter: Z in [My Computer]. After Windows updated it disappeared, I'm not even seeing it in Disk Management. I'm not sure there is a problem, Windows seams to be booting from the 1TB HD, (I can see its folders on it). I can hear that grinding sound a HD makes when its reading. Can I change/upgrade the PCIe NVMe M.2? or is it better to install a SSD and install Windows on it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @fireoline 

The 16GB M.2 drive is actually Intel Optane cache memory. Its used for things like booting Windows faster than if it were operating via HDD alone. It cannot be accessed like a normal drive for storage. This is normal.

Your models information includes this on the HP Store link...

optane drive.JPG

If you follow the instruction on this link... you can determine if Optane is active and running.

You can also do this...

optane enabled.JPG

As far as upgrading the Optane drive to a bootable M.2 SSD, Yes you can.

It should to be disabled in Windows and the bios before removal.

This link give more details about disabling at the bottom of the page...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05591811

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @fireoline 

The 16GB M.2 drive is actually Intel Optane cache memory. Its used for things like booting Windows faster than if it were operating via HDD alone. It cannot be accessed like a normal drive for storage. This is normal.

Your models information includes this on the HP Store link...

optane drive.JPG

If you follow the instruction on this link... you can determine if Optane is active and running.

You can also do this...

optane enabled.JPG

As far as upgrading the Optane drive to a bootable M.2 SSD, Yes you can.

It should to be disabled in Windows and the bios before removal.

This link give more details about disabling at the bottom of the page...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05591811

HP Recommended

I just thought I would add... If you plan on upgrading the drives, know that the new additions wont be warrantied. If you have to send the PC for warranty repairs, you would have to remove the new hardware and make the system as it was from purchase first.

Remember to create your HP USB recovery drive, if you ever have to reinstall the system to factory specs.

HP Recommended

Thank You, it is functioning, working fine no wI know what it does. So there is no technical issue. Now, I do 1080p video editing, I'm running Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects and Auditon all at the same time. I would like to insatll a SSD for Windows and Software,  leave the 1TB HDD for data and the RAM to 16GB. Do you think I need to upgrade the Flash cache? I so what would you recommend?

HP Recommended

Upgrading the flash cache to ssd means you would have to remove the Optane drive, in order to install an NVMe SSD into the same M.2 port. There is only one M.2 port, so you cannot have both.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.