Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h9-1060sc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my old video car has crashed and I now wonder if this video card ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-O6G will work with my PC?
I have been in contact with Asus and they told me that there should not be any problem, but suggested I checked here also with HP that have more knowledge with there PC and PSU.

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-GTX1060-O6G/specifications/

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03029064?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @Silke79 

You have a 600w PSU so you meet the power requirements. Make sure there is one 6pin connector available to connect to the card.

But old HPs have been an odd duck when it comes to legacy bios and new gpu's. I could not guarantee it will work on your system unless the bios was updated to at least version 8 or higher. Your model dosent have a bios update past version 7.

I have seen others who had trouble with new series cards and old bios's, even though card mfg's say they will work on them.

So all I can say is, do so at your own risk. If it doesnt work, will you be able to return the card?

HP Recommended

Is there some way to upgrade it to version 8 or higher if need be or is version 7 as high as this model goes?
If need be there should be so I can return it if it does not work for me.
If this does not work, do you perhaps have any recommendation for a replacement GPU?

Thanks for the quick respons.

HP Recommended

If there was a newer bios update listed, I would have included that information also.

The 600 series nvidia cards were compatible but not much of an upgrade to what you have now.

I cant speak for anything higher.

If gaming is your goal, I would seriously think about upgrading to a whole new system if possible.

HP Recommended

I was afraid of that.

Thanks for all the help

HP Recommended

No problem. Let us know if you have any other questions if you decide to buy a new HP.

HP Recommended

Would you know if this might work instead?
Because the original GPU is broken and that's why I need a new card to my PC
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/710-2-SL/specifications/

HP Recommended

As I pointed out, only the 600 series are known compatible. Many have reported the 700 series to not work on that motherboard.

But, there are some 700 series like the 750ti that were built with a bios switch on them. In other words, you could switch the compatibility from UEFI to Legacy and some people reported those worked. I think it was an MSI 750ti and it had a Hybrid Bios Switch built into it.

But if you could find a used 660-670, that would still be stronger than a 750.

Thats the best I can do on that subject.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the help you have given me. 

It's a real shame that HP makes a gameing PC and the GPU is the biggest you can get to work with the bios/motherboard is what you got with it.

One of the things I usally do is when my PC gets older I upgrade the GPU to get a few more years on it and have been one of the reason I have in the past bought HP when they have been friendly for one to do hardware upgrades.

Reason I would not buy a Apple or Dell is that you have been stuck with that hardware without being able to upgrade without buying there stuff and I like to be able to buy 3 hand hardware from other developers and only needing to see so the hardware are up to the task.

So now it will be that I will buy a own built PC insted and I can easily put 2500-4000$ or more on a new PC when I buy a new one.

It's a shame that it feels that HP have sided with the Apple and Dells way of making Mac/PC. 

I have allways liked HP until now and I really hope this is one time thing with this PC and nothing in there future PC that you get a more or less a PC that is maxed out and not able to do anything more with it. 

HP Recommended

Come on. HP didnt Do this. its just a big change from all manuafacturers and the world of upgrading parts. HP mearly kept up like all the others or get left behind.

Move with the times my friend. Im happey with the new changes and I really like how much easier it is to troubleshoot Windows 10. But its your personal choice. Believe what you will. Those parts are generations old and time to upgrade anyway.

I dont know what to tell you to make you feel better man. Good luck in what ever you decide I guess.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.