Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 880-160se Model
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I am getting a system refund due to a faulty GPU on a brand new Omen, and as such I'm resetting the computer to factory setting to send for replacement. My GPU crashed as I was resetting it and now my computer is in an endless loop of attempting to wipe the memory and install windows. Problem is. My computer crashed mid-install and Windows keeps failing to reinstall. How can I fix this?15644509068794292899733445149075.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Andyk04 

I assume you have the i7 8700K cpu, correct?

Here are some options....

IF the video card is causing the crash, I would remove it and plug the monitors HDMI cord or DP cord (if that's what you have) into the HDMI/DP port on the I/O shield of the motherboard. It might be covered and you will have to remove the cap (not easy). Then reinstall again. Then you can reconnect the NVIDIA card afterward.

1.  Did you make the HP USB Media Installer to install with, or are you using the recovery partition? 

IF the drives file system got borked from the crash, you might not be able to continue using the recovery partition.

In such case, you can download the HP Recovery Media and create a USB Media installer.

But to do so, you will have to have a 32GB USB drive to make the downloadable installer with.

You can run the HP recovery down-loader from any windows computer. First choice.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205?fbclid=IwAR2ef2zMxQ8I2zhuN0aiME07oW9phjGmnzIa1C0gz8J...

Your product number will be... 2TB61AV#ABA

The region code will be... ABA

Operating system is... Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit

2.  If grabbing the HP cloud recovery is too much trouble, you could also use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and make a generic windows installer onto an 8GB USB drive. 2nd choice.

Create media Windows 10

Or

3.  I assume the OS wont boot up now, even if you removed the faulty video card, correct?

If so your personal data is not so easily obtainable. The HP Support tech will simply have to reinstall Windows for you. That might be the easiest solution.

Its your call.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Andyk04 

I assume you have the i7 8700K cpu, correct?

Here are some options....

IF the video card is causing the crash, I would remove it and plug the monitors HDMI cord or DP cord (if that's what you have) into the HDMI/DP port on the I/O shield of the motherboard. It might be covered and you will have to remove the cap (not easy). Then reinstall again. Then you can reconnect the NVIDIA card afterward.

1.  Did you make the HP USB Media Installer to install with, or are you using the recovery partition? 

IF the drives file system got borked from the crash, you might not be able to continue using the recovery partition.

In such case, you can download the HP Recovery Media and create a USB Media installer.

But to do so, you will have to have a 32GB USB drive to make the downloadable installer with.

You can run the HP recovery down-loader from any windows computer. First choice.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205?fbclid=IwAR2ef2zMxQ8I2zhuN0aiME07oW9phjGmnzIa1C0gz8J...

Your product number will be... 2TB61AV#ABA

The region code will be... ABA

Operating system is... Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit

2.  If grabbing the HP cloud recovery is too much trouble, you could also use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and make a generic windows installer onto an 8GB USB drive. 2nd choice.

Create media Windows 10

Or

3.  I assume the OS wont boot up now, even if you removed the faulty video card, correct?

If so your personal data is not so easily obtainable. The HP Support tech will simply have to reinstall Windows for you. That might be the easiest solution.

Its your call.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all of your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.