Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 25L Gaming Desktop PC GT15-1000i (6J775AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

On power up my daughter got a Bios/Cmos checksum error and then immediate power off. Now the computer won't even respond to the power button. Have tried the "troubleshooting" recommended by the HP Virtual Assistant and nothing. The last computer that i had this happen to, it was the cmos battery. But I do not know where on the motherboard the cmos battery is.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @sentientpear,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The CMOS checksum error you're experiencing could indeed be related to the CMOS battery. The CMOS battery is responsible for providing power to the CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) memory, which stores the BIOS settings, including the system clock.

Here are the general steps to locate and replace the CMOS battery.

Identify the Motherboard Model:

• Try to find your motherboard's model number. You can usually find this information printed on the motherboard itself or in the documentation that came with your computer.

Locate the CMOS Battery:

• The CMOS battery is typically a coin-cell battery (CR2032) and is usually located somewhere on the motherboard. It's a small, silver, coin-shaped battery.

Power Off and Unplug:

• Before doing anything inside the computer, make sure it's powered off, and you've unplugged it from the electrical outlet.

Open the Computer Case:

• Depending on your computer model, you may need to open the case to access the motherboard. Consult your computer's manual for instructions on how to do this.

Locate the CMOS Battery:

• Once the case is open, look for the CMOS battery on the motherboard. It's often near the edge, but the exact location can vary.

Replace the CMOS Battery:

• Carefully remove the old CMOS battery. Take note of its orientation, and replace it with a new one of the same type. Make sure the new battery is correctly oriented.

Close the Case and Power On:

• Close the computer case, plug in the power, and turn on the computer. The BIOS settings may have been reset, so you might need to enter the BIOS and configure any necessary settings.

If, after replacing the CMOS battery, the issue persists, there might be a more significant problem with the motherboard or other components.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.