Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0104ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

can i upgrade my processor?

current processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

hi

Maintenance and Service Guide

No you can' t
see this manual here
the motherboard should be replaced
Which is practically impossible, expensive, risky!
optionally you can add memory

Memory Two SODIMM slots, customer accessible/upgradeable
DDR4-2400 dual channel support (DDR4-3200 bridge to DDR4-2666, DDR4-2666 downgrade to
DDR4-2400)
Supports up to 32 GB maximum system memory in the following conƭgurations
● 16 GB (16 GB × 1 or 8 GB × 2)
● 12 GB (8 GB × 1 + 4 GB × 1)
● 8 GB (8 GB × 1 or 4 GB × 2)

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Actually, I beg to differ. The link Prométhée provided (page 25 & 55 of 86) lists the AMD Ryzen 7 3750H -a marginally faster CPU. See link: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H vs AMD Ryzen 7 3750H: What is the difference? (versus.com)

Also, this link: UserBenchmark: HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec0xxx Compatible Components shows that the top ten HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec0xxx's have the 3750H installed.

HP Recommended

Hi

@NonSequitur777 

That you disagree, I understand, but see the document
You cannot replace the processor, in any case easily

System board (includes processor and replacement thermal material):
All system boards use the following part numbers:
xxxxxx-001: Non-Windows operating system
xxxxxx-601: Windows 10 operating system
AMD Ryzen 7 3750H processor and 6 GB of discrete graphics memory (GeForce GTX 1660 Ti) L71932-xx1
AMD Ryzen 7 3750H processor and 4 GB of discrete graphics memory (GeForce GTX 1650) L71930-xx1

AMD Ryzen 5 3550H processor and 6 GB of discrete graphics memory (GeForce GTX 1660 Ti) L71931-xx1
AMD Ryzen 5 3550H processor and 4 GB of discrete graphics memory (GeForce GTX 1650) L71929-xx1
AMD Ryzen 5 3550H processor and 3 GB of discrete graphics memory (GeForce GTX 1050) L71928-xx1

It doesn't mention that you can replace it, that's what I'm saying.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi Prométhée,

I must insist / Je me dois d'insister: you can replace the motherboard part which includes the CPU & GPU (p/n: HP L71932-601), which would give you a significant upgrade with the AMD Ryzen 7 3750H processor and the GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GPU which has 6 GB of discrete graphics memory.

The most affordable purchase option I can find (HP doesn't have this part in stock), doing a quick web search, would cost $384.36 via eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324738335319?hash=item4b9be9c257%3Ag%3APagAAOSwHTFhCQFQ&LH_BIN=1

Indeed, I'll admit: it's going to be expensive, but not impossible at all.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

NonSequitur777_1-1642609957771.png

NonSequitur777_0-1642609923827.png

HP Recommended

Needless to insist, that practically everyone here knows that we can do that
I have also indicated it well!
I answer the question of the user, and in his interest!
to the question "can I change the processor?" , the answer is definitely no.

I mention that it would be necessary to replace the motherboard
only there is a great risk!
The replacement of the motherboard, actually has a certain cost
the original version of windows, could most certainly no longer
work, it remains to be seen but likely
And replacing the processor is already not without risk, but replacing everything is not within everyone's reach either.
We have already seen users break a laptop, just trying to replace the memory, so!

So, in the interest of the user, I prefer to indicate that no
because it will certainly be profitable to buy a more powerful computer!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Dear Prométhée,

With regard to your proposition, quote: "answer the question of the user, and in his interest!" (emphasis added) is concerned, that is a matter of perspective and personal bias. We provide options and let the user decide.

HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

hi

Maintenance and Service Guide

No you can' t
see this manual here
the motherboard should be replaced
Which is practically impossible, expensive, risky!
optionally you can add memory

Memory Two SODIMM slots, customer accessible/upgradeable
DDR4-2400 dual channel support (DDR4-3200 bridge to DDR4-2666, DDR4-2666 downgrade to
DDR4-2400)
Supports up to 32 GB maximum system memory in the following conƭgurations
● 16 GB (16 GB × 1 or 8 GB × 2)
● 12 GB (8 GB × 1 + 4 GB × 1)
● 8 GB (8 GB × 1 or 4 GB × 2)

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.