Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-dc0805no 15.6"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

An annoying sound plays every time I start up my computer. I filmed it so you can hear the sound: (it's 14 seconds in) https://photos.app.goo.gl/KMdFNgwkgpQpwZFV9 .
What does this sound come from, and more importantly, how do I disable it?

After searching this forum and others, I've tried all of the following without success:
- Disable all Start-up programs in Task Manager
- Disable all sounds in "Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Sounds" (including "Play Windows Start-up sound")
- Uninstall Omen Command Center
- Reinstall Omen Command Center

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Oh OK. Thats aggravating. 

Are you using a 3rd party keyboard or mouse that is connected?

If so, does disconnecting them make any difference?

Other suggestions...

Have you tried starting Windows in Safe Mode next? I'm sure it will not chime then. That would indicate a program is altering your setup if its disabled then. Then you could try starting Windows in a Clean Boot mode. That's when you turn off every service not related to Windows, then re-enable them one at a time till you find the culprit.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

If it really bothers you that much and all else fails, the only other thing I could suggest is to reinstall Windows.

I don't think you have an HP Recovery partition on that model. IF not, use the MS Media Creation Tool and a USB stick and do a custom install. Delete all partitions and install.

Take note of the sound not playing anymore. Then as you add programs, check it each time to see if it starts again.

Sorry I dont have a definitive answer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Grubb1 

I have never heard that particular chime before and couldn't identify it in the default Windows sounds either.

You have tried everything I was going to suggest. It should not have anything to do with the Omen Command Center.

Did this just happen recently or always on from out of the box?

Only other thing I can think of is its related to some change due to a program recently installed perhaps?

Are you able to roll back the system to a prior Restore Point?

HP Recommended

Thank you @Photoarray002
I bought this computer recently and the sound has been there since the first time I started it.

HP Recommended

Oh OK. Thats aggravating. 

Are you using a 3rd party keyboard or mouse that is connected?

If so, does disconnecting them make any difference?

Other suggestions...

Have you tried starting Windows in Safe Mode next? I'm sure it will not chime then. That would indicate a program is altering your setup if its disabled then. Then you could try starting Windows in a Clean Boot mode. That's when you turn off every service not related to Windows, then re-enable them one at a time till you find the culprit.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

If it really bothers you that much and all else fails, the only other thing I could suggest is to reinstall Windows.

I don't think you have an HP Recovery partition on that model. IF not, use the MS Media Creation Tool and a USB stick and do a custom install. Delete all partitions and install.

Take note of the sound not playing anymore. Then as you add programs, check it each time to see if it starts again.

Sorry I dont have a definitive answer.

HP Recommended

Thank you again.

Although your answer seems like the correct one, I solved it in a similar way before I read your post.

I first noted that Safe Mode indeed disabled the sound.

I then ran Autoruns  as admin and unchecked all the boxes I could (would not recommend anyone else doing that). That caused multiple problems booting Windows, but they were automatically repaired after a few restarts, and now the startup sound is gone :D.

Unfortunately McAfee antivirus (which I had painstakenly gotten rid of) suddenly reappeared. But at least I know how to fix that...

HP Recommended

Ah good to hear. Thanks for the heads up.

Autoruns probably disabled a few Windows services as well as the others and thus why you had some issues. But you were able to figure it out.

👍

Yep, I dont run McAfee either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.