Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have an HP Omen 17 RTX 2080 Super model, I've had it just under a year and I've had a constant issue of the speakers being very very quiet even maxed out. The audio will randomly play louder out of the right speaker for a period of time then will switch to both speakers again.  I have updated the drivers from both Realtek and the HP website with no luck, I have also uninstalled and reinstalled HP software such as the Omen Audio Control. I have even gone as far to restore the laptop. I have also gone into every setting imaginable, checked the audio balance, audio effects etc. None of this helped in the slightest. 

It hasn't been much of an issue as I usually have an external speaker connected but with University starting again I want to get this resolved as I'll be using it outside of the house much more. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I have had the exact same issue with my OMEN 17 with the RTX 2080 Super... Unfortunately I have not been able to find a solution at this time. The only thing HP Support recommended I do was submit my machine to a service center for repairs, however this did not solve the issue either upon multiple occasions. When I run and up-to-date Linux distribution on my machine, the sound is very loud and clear, however in Windows it is not, and hasn't been since my device was newly set up. I feel there is errors with the RealTek drivers, however no further updates have been pushed since December 2020 (for the OMEN 17t-cb000 model). As far as I know, there is no workaround for this issue, so I would highly recommend you use a USB sound card, or external speakers instead of the built-in speakers. 

Sorry, I wish you best of luck however...  A very annoying issue though, nobody seems to have answers for... not even RealTek. If all else fails and you want to free up a megabyte or two of RAM at most, and possibly a miniscule and insignificant amount of CPU resources, just disable the RealTek driver completely and use a USB headset/soundcard instead. If you do opt to disable it though, the headphone jack will not function until the driver is re-enabled however. The built-in mic will function as it has it's own Intel Sound driver. 

HP Recommended

@Hackneyreese 

What is your HP Omen 17 RTX 2080 Super model ?  Please use the following way to find out the model/product of your machine

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

For security reason, please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n) on Internet.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.