Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Example: pavilion 15-ec0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My keyboard backlit turns of every 30 seconds unless i press any key .. how can I change the timeout of the backlit?

Also I can't find device options in BIOS..

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Husam_Allouni 

I dislike having to answer these... no one ends up happy with the result.

The option to change the timeout to never does not likely exist in your model.

It is a known limitation, in other words - it is not "broken", the setting is just not available.

BIOS – Backlit Keyboard and other Advanced Options

This is one of those situations where the how-to document mentions that a particular feature might not be supported on every computer.  The document does not offer an exact explanation because the document is not written for YOUR computer.

HP Notebook PCs - Using the Backlit Keyboard

Section: The backlight stays on for only a few seconds

Excerpted

Note:

If there is not a setting for the backlight timing in the BIOS, this behavior might not be supported on the notebook. Check your notebook model's product support documentation to confirm support.

Discussion

In general, and there might be exceptions,

• Business class computers offer the BIOS Advanced section. 
  • Examples of business class systems include and are not limited to:  Zbook Mobile Workstations, ProBook, EliteBook, and others.

For example

• The backlit keyboard timeout option is included in the Advanced section as appropriate (assuming system has a backlit keyboard).

• At this writing, consumer class systems do not include the Advanced BIOS section.
  • Examples of consumer grade systems include and are not limited to:  Spectre, Pavilion, Envy, Notebook.

HP Note

BIOS configurations vary depending on the computer. For further information on a specific computer, refer to the documentation provided with the computer or go to the appropriate document for your PC.

Consumer Class Desktops and Notebooks – BIOS Setup

Commercial / Business Class Computers – BIOS Setup

HP PC Commercial BIOS (UEFI) Setup - Administration Guide

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion Gaming 15-ec0000 Laptop PC series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Even though I understand your post, it will surely boggle your mind that:
From the day I bought this machine (gaming Pavilion 15dk0xxx), I was able to control the backlit keyboard. There was NO timer on it, I turned it on or off when I wanted to.

Since first week of September,  it decided it had a timer. Now, it shuts off after 10-15 seconds. I had nothing to do with that. How is this happening?

regards, Karen Houjethai

HP Recommended

@houjethai 

Hardly "boggled".  I have read this on occasion.

How is this happening?

I don't have an explanation - I have not one single consumer grade system.  I have access to available BIOS options without having the access disrupted.  In other words, I have nothing to compare to "Yes, works."  to "No, Access now locked".

It is possible, that the access on certain systems (consumer grade?) was never intended and that the access was locked with an update.

Obviously, this is a guess.

HP doesn't share internal decisions with those of us who do not work for HP.

If there is a public explanation - or even a fix, the documentation will be located in your computer's  Support Home > Category Advisories and / or Category Bulletins

It is possible I missed something.

I believe backlit keyboard timeout should be supported on all backlit keyboards.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you.

I think: "It is possible, that the access on certain systems (consumer grade?) was never intended and that the access was locked with an update." you have a point there. Let's see if HP changes it back again haha next round. Greetings, Karen

HP Recommended

@houjethai 

You are welcome.

I am guessing, of course.  HP doesn't tell non-employees its business and those who do work for HP do not share internal information (not more than one time, at least).

HP has to be aware of the reports and the general dis-satisfaction with the backlit keyboard timeout restrictions. 

Maybe things will change (back) for the better.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to show appreciation for the help.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find a solution.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.