Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 17-an012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

For a couple of months now, I found out that my laptop was not charging. I've replaced the battery thinking that it was the issue and what happened was that it charged perfectly the first time and now, the same as before.

Basically, the battery icon appears and it says "plugged-in" but no message as "charging" nor "not charging", just that it is plugged. From that point forward the little battery left is reducing little by little (2% left now). The light on the plug is always on a steady orange.

I've run all the software checks and they say that both the battery and the cable are OK. I've replugged the new battery again, I've uninstalled and installed the drivers and I've formatted the computer and installed the OS from scratch. Nothing worked so far.

Any idea what could be happening? 

Thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BrunoTerraP

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• 1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.
  • 2. Expand batteries.
  • 3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.
  • 4. Shut down the computer. 
  • 5. Disconnect the charger.
  • 6. Remove the battery.
  • 7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.
  • 8. Insert the battery only.
  • 9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey @Echo_Lake ! 

Thanks for your reply. I've tried this with no success. When I try to turn the PC on with just the battery nothing happens. If what Windows 10 shows as battery left on ... the battery is correct, then it has only 1% of charge left at this point so, I assume that's not enough to turn the computer on.

There is anything else that you think I could try? 

HP Recommended

@BrunoTerraP

Thank you for posting back.

Use the following steps to troubleshoot the battery:

1. Remove the notebook battery and check the contact points to make sure they are not damaged. (not for non- removable battery) 

2. Unplug all USB devices from the notebook.

Many notebook models continue to provide power to USB devices through the USB ports, even when the computer is powered off or in a suspended state.

3. Unplug the AC power cable.

4. Insert the battery into the battery compartment on the bottom of the notebook computer.

5. Plug the AC power cable into the computer and into an AC wall outlet, then allow the battery to charge for 15 to 30 minutes.

NOTE: The power LED, located near the power icon, glows while the battery is charging.
  6. Unplug the power adapter cord from the notebook.

7. Press and release the Power button to start the computer using only the battery as the power source.

• If the computer powers on, the battery is functioning. Run the HP Battery Check utility to evaluate the battery at Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows).

• If the computer does not power on, continue to the next step.

8. If you have a second battery for your computer, replace the original battery with the second battery and perform the troubleshooting steps again.

• If the computer powers on with the second battery and the battery charges correctly, contact HP Customer Support for battery replacement. See Purchasing a Replacement Battery.

• If the problem remains with the new battery, you might need to replace the system board. Contact HP Customer Support for further assistance. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.