Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-en000z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New Omen Repair?

Hey hey. I ordered an Omen 15-en000z laptop on the 30th. It finally arrived today around 1 in the afternoon. I’ve been setting it up since (it’s now 8 pm).

I’m a music producer, just to add context. I’m installing all my VSTs again. Right after installing my final VST (thank god), my network goes down. No options came up to connect to. Except it was working fine on my phone. I restart in hopes of it fixing it.

Nope....

Been stuck in this loop of automatic repairs and not able to use my laptop. Great! Ikr....

Yeah.... please help me. Honestly so infuriating. My anger level is soaring through the roof rn.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Paige100- 

Not sure what happened. I don't know if a driver, update or software corrected the system, or if a physical failure occurred like the hard drive perhaps (yes, it can happen on new drives). Usually I've seen an endless repair loop have to have Windows re-installed. There are a couple of things you can try that maybe will help before you do that.

If you're up to trying it....

Do you have access to another Windows PC with Win 10? If so, create a Windows installer with a blank USB drive (8-32GB) and the MS Media Creation Tool. When you run the creator, it will ask you at some point if you want to "Use the recommended options for this PC".  Uncheck that box, then click Next to continue.

Then you should be able to insert the USB and rapidly tap the F11 key at power-on to access the recovery options.

F11 at power-on > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

• Type chkdsk /f /r C: and then press Enter
  • Type exit and press Enter.
  • Restart the PC to see if the problem is fixed.

If no joy... Open Command Prompt as you did above.

• Type exe /rebuildbcd and press Enter key. When its done its thing...
  • Type exe /fixmbr and press Enter key. When its done that...
  • Typeexe /fixboot and press Enter key. When thats done...
  • Type exit and press Enter key. Hopefully each command ended successfully.
  • Restart your PC. If you are still stuck in Windows Automatic Repair loop, try the next method.

If that did not work, go into the Command Prompt again as above.

Type bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No and press Enter key.

Restart your PC, the Automatic Startup Repair should be disabled.

Hopefully it wont be stuck there anymore.

• When you want to enable it again, you can type bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled Yes in that command prompt and press Enter.

Sometimes on rare occasion, you can go to F11 at power-on > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings and click the Next button. Hopefully if it reboots OK, you will get an option to choose Safe Mode. Let it boot to Safe Mode, then shut down and reboot again. Windows might now reboot normal.

If none of that works, I'm afraid you will have better luck re-installing Windows cleanly.

Or forget the troubleshooting steps and just skip to reinstalling Windows anyway.

• Clean install means when you use that USB tool and Windows goes through the motion of reinstalling, towards the beginning you will see an option to do a Custom install. Choose custom and delete all the partitions, then let windows continue with installing. It will partition the drive as needed automatically.

IF reinstalling is unsuccessful, the drive might be physically failing. You would have to contact HP Support for a warranty issue so they can repair the laptop. Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site 

Thats about all I can offer without having it in my hands.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @Paige100- 

Not sure what happened. I don't know if a driver, update or software corrected the system, or if a physical failure occurred like the hard drive perhaps (yes, it can happen on new drives). Usually I've seen an endless repair loop have to have Windows re-installed. There are a couple of things you can try that maybe will help before you do that.

If you're up to trying it....

Do you have access to another Windows PC with Win 10? If so, create a Windows installer with a blank USB drive (8-32GB) and the MS Media Creation Tool. When you run the creator, it will ask you at some point if you want to "Use the recommended options for this PC".  Uncheck that box, then click Next to continue.

Then you should be able to insert the USB and rapidly tap the F11 key at power-on to access the recovery options.

F11 at power-on > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

• Type chkdsk /f /r C: and then press Enter
  • Type exit and press Enter.
  • Restart the PC to see if the problem is fixed.

If no joy... Open Command Prompt as you did above.

• Type exe /rebuildbcd and press Enter key. When its done its thing...
  • Type exe /fixmbr and press Enter key. When its done that...
  • Typeexe /fixboot and press Enter key. When thats done...
  • Type exit and press Enter key. Hopefully each command ended successfully.
  • Restart your PC. If you are still stuck in Windows Automatic Repair loop, try the next method.

If that did not work, go into the Command Prompt again as above.

Type bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No and press Enter key.

Restart your PC, the Automatic Startup Repair should be disabled.

Hopefully it wont be stuck there anymore.

• When you want to enable it again, you can type bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled Yes in that command prompt and press Enter.

Sometimes on rare occasion, you can go to F11 at power-on > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings and click the Next button. Hopefully if it reboots OK, you will get an option to choose Safe Mode. Let it boot to Safe Mode, then shut down and reboot again. Windows might now reboot normal.

If none of that works, I'm afraid you will have better luck re-installing Windows cleanly.

Or forget the troubleshooting steps and just skip to reinstalling Windows anyway.

• Clean install means when you use that USB tool and Windows goes through the motion of reinstalling, towards the beginning you will see an option to do a Custom install. Choose custom and delete all the partitions, then let windows continue with installing. It will partition the drive as needed automatically.

IF reinstalling is unsuccessful, the drive might be physically failing. You would have to contact HP Support for a warranty issue so they can repair the laptop. Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site 

Thats about all I can offer without having it in my hands.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.