Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen AX243DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Okay this is basically a repost from another user I saw he was advised to get a sata drive here
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Can-an-nvme-ssd-be-added-to-the-HP-Omen-15-ax243dx-la...
because according to the other user although the computer would take an nvme drive it would not run at full speed cause it also accepts sata drives. This answer makes no sense to me, as an nvme drive is an M keyed M.2 drive where as a sata is a B+M keyed drive meaning the sata drive will fit into sockets keyed to accept either B or M keyed devices. So therefore all sata drives should fit into any nvme socket the manual that was linked in the other post said the computer took nvme.  So my actual question is if all nvme sockets also accept sata drives does that mean nvme is pointless and all nvme's run at slower speeds  or what makes this particular nvme slot slower just because it also accepts sata.

Thanks in advance for your responses,
                               Confused In TechLand

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual that states both SATA an NVme drives are supported.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357609

I agree with you that the NVMe will run at full capacity in the M.2 slot, not at the SATA 3 speed.

As you suggested...what would be the point of having a NVMe drive installed?

The slot has all of the contacts to work the NVMe drive, which has more contact pins than the SATA M.2 drive has.

You can look at pictures of each type drive and see what I am referring to.

I'm not a hardware engineer, but it would make sense to me that the # contact pins the drive makes contact with, determines how the drive works...either as a SATA drive, or as an NVMe drive.

If the slot was for SATA only, then a NVMe drive would not work. 

If the slot was for NVMe only, then a SATA drive would not work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.